atx psu operation

greetings!!!

can anybody in this newsgroup give me an idea on the detailed operation of an atx psu. i already knew from this group that if i short out black and green connection in the psu, it will power up. i tested it and it worked. but i want to know the concept behind its turning on/off. this is because i have an atx psu here that does not power up even connected to the motherboard or when shorted out. (black-green). i want to troubleshoot it but i do not want to start yet until i already understand how this psu operates so that i may know where to directly troubleshoot the problem. is it in the primary side circuit or in the secondary side or logic/controller for the on/off state.

thnks in advance,

ian

Reply to
cheian07

First of all, what brand is your power supply? Some power supplies are not worth fixing at all includes (but not limited to) anything named after animal like Deer, those that comes with cheap empty computer cases, and especially those made about 4-5 years ago.

Some decent power supply uses feedback to monitor volt and current useage. If there's no load or a short somewhere, it may simply shut down. Also 5v_good line may need to be dealt with to get the power supply to behave properly.

If you still can't get the psu to power up even on a known good board, you may have a problem with the psu itself. The most likely cause is a blown fuse. Although the power_on line (green line) is on secondary side, it controls the oscilator on the primary side (usually through opto-isolator for protection) and without oscilation, there is no power at all. The specific design will vary by manufactors. You will need to understand how switching power supply works as they are rather tricky to troubleshoot and repair.

too late.    - by anonymous Mother in Austin, TX
Impmon

thank you for your response. i was enlightened.

Reply to
cheian07

Ian, Look at the web page at

It has a schematic and theory of a typical ATX power supply. Keep in mind that this is just one example of a design.. the unit that you have may be similar of very different.

Above all, when you start poking around inside the power supply, be very careful. Lethat voltages are present inside the unit, and will maim or kill you if you aren't careful.

Cheers!!!

--
Dave M
MasonDG44 at comcast dot net  (Just subsitute the appropriate characters in

DaveM

I would suggest that unless you are very experienced in repairing mains powered equipment that you would be much safer picking one up from computers thrown in the tip - very easy to electrocute yourself poking around one of these

David - who shudders at the thought of beg> greetings!!!

Reply to
quietguy

Either I'v been lucky or I was doing something right. I've taken apart a number of power supplies (both ATX and older AT) and never had a shock. OTOH I've been shocked a few times when i tried to service a

480v 3 phase motor (while it was still plugged in!) and when I touched the "bell" of a 27" CRT. I've walked away though a bit shaken but with no injuries.