is 60 mhz oscilloscope good enough to repair motherboard?

please enlighten me !

thanks in advance.

Reply to
fixpc

if you need to ask the question I wonder if you have the knowledge to repair a motherboard with one anyway as prodding various point with a scope is meaningless

Reply to
Mr Fixit

I have fixed many many PC even without a scope than you could think of.

Reply to
fixpc

You assume that he is going to use it to repair motherboards. He may want it so he can learn to use it to repair motherboards.

Why is everyone so quick to judge?

Reply to
Simon Scott

is it fast enough to clock signal 487, 370 sockets, frame signal in A34 in PCI... signal near the NB and SB.....etc. signal such as in AGP ( the 3rd pin counting backward).....etc.

Reply to
fixpc

its more of how can you repair a fast digital computer with a simple scope, measuring one or two points at any time is more or less useless

Reply to
Mr Fixit

how about 100 mhz or 150 mhz, I cannot afford to buy expensive scope?

Reply to
fixpc

What's your aim? Doing $100 repairs on a $69 motherboard ?

--
Kind regards,
Gerard Bok

I think you need a really really high megs scope to do anything these days.

It does remind me of all us who were computer techs in the late 60's, like using a 10 Mhz non storage scope working at DEC up in Maynard on PDP-8 stuff. A computer tech always carried his scope wherever he went.

greg

Reply to
GregS

"fixpc" schreef in bericht news:444f3ab2@127.0.0.1...

A so often it depends. Depends on your skills, the type(s) of motherboard(s), the fault(s) and last but not least the answer you want to hear. In the old days of the 286 I had a 100mHz available for processor related problems. Best use I ever made of it was convincing a less experienced technician that sloppy edges caused extra pulses even in a device with Schmitt triggered inputs. He could/did not see it using a 25MHz oscope.

petrus bitbyter

Reply to
petrus bitbyter
60MHz will be good enough to verify signals on about a 6 or 7 year old motherboard. All newer systems have signals that run as high as 533Mhz that you might want to check. In that case any modern motherboard repair if you are really serious about fixing them will require about a 1GHz scope and probe set.

Then it will be good for just tracing signals and verifying that they are clean and of the appropriate level and expected frequency.

Reply to
dkuhajda

using a 10 Mhz

But in those days, they came with their own caddy :-)

Although quite often, just a --then common-- AM transistor radio proved just as handy :-)

(And you could listen to music while not in a computer room as well. Almost like a modern 'scope with internet interface today :-)

--
Kind regards,
Gerard Bok

now I understand more and the choice of oscilloscope!

please show me url of a "Schmitt triggered inputs". TIA.

Reply to
fixpc

but I think a 60 mhz is not good enough , not until you have a frquency counter up 1-2 Ghz.

what about this combination to unlock a breakdown motherboard.

Reply to
fixpc

I was using a Tektronix 2465 4 channel 400 MHz scope seven years ago to troubleshoot computers.

--
HELP! My sig file has escaped! ;-)
Reply to

in repair business, you may only require to know which component is not working, replace it and test it.

I think tek 60 mhz is already good enought, I rasied this is draw your attention and good supporting point that my choice is wrong.

Reply to
fixpc

What?

Reply to
Michael Kennedy

"Michael Kennedy" ¼¶¼g©ó¶l¥ó·s»D: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com...

what is what?

Reply to
fixpc

Why would anyone bother to spend time repairing a motherboard? If it's something obvious like leaky caps then yeah, but otherwise new boards are dirt cheap.

Reply to
James Sweet