Motherboard repair help

Hi, I damaged my motherboard when the heatsink broke and the screwdriver hit the board. One or two of the inductors got damaged by the screwdriver, and I was advised to take off the damaged inductor(s) and just short the connection(s). I know this is probably a stupid question but what is the best way to do this? I tried soldering a wire, but it is hard getting a wire cut that small. The joints are about 2-3mm apart, so I don't know how I should do it. Any help would be appreciated.

--
mallik
Reply to

On Wed, 1 Jun 2005 06:03:33 +0100, mallik put finger to keyboard and composed:

These inductors must not be bypassed. They form part of the Vcore regulator circuit. If you short them out, then the CPU may see +12V or

+5V instead of ~1.5V.

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

You are best to replace the mother board. The damage is most likely more than what you visually see. Also, considering the time and expense you will put in to trying to fix it, the repair would not be economically viable.

--

JANA _____

Hi, I damaged my motherboard when the heatsink broke and the screwdriver hit the board. One or two of the inductors got damaged by the screwdriver, and I was advised to take off the damaged inductor(s) and just short the connection(s). I know this is probably a stupid question but what is the best way to do this? I tried soldering a wire, but it is hard getting a wire cut that small. The joints are about 2-3mm apart, so I don't know how I should do it. Any help would be appreciated.

-- mallik

Reply to
JANA

If they are the inline variety (small rectangular blocks) these can usually be replaced from a scrap board.

To remove them, you really need to use Chipquik as the boards are very delicate now and normal soldering techniques tend to rip up tracks.

Regards,

-A

Reply to
testing_h

If they are the inline variety (small rectangular blocks) these can

very

Reply to
Fozj

Fozi: You should type in "chipquik" in your search engine.... in less than a second I had almost 400 hits on yahoo. Do a little searching and reading.... chipquik is a safer way to remove chips from delicate pcbs.

-- Best Regards, Daniel Sofie Electronics Supply & Repair

sofie