Repair of Oscilloscope

Some years ago I bought an old Telequipment DM64 oscilloscope. It worked, but the time base was about 20% off (a 50Hz Signal looked like

40Hz). I didn't use it for some years. When I switched it on some days ago, the horizontal deflection did not work anymore (it didn't sweep from left to right, just a point (without signal) or vertical line (with signal) on the screen).

I have never repaired a scope before. Any tips on how to proceed? Could it be, that the electrolytic capacitors just have to be replaced (because they dried out)? Do non-electrolytic capacitors also die of old age? Or any other component?

Thanks for any help

Tolux

Reply to
tolux

You may find something relevant/similar in the scopes section of my repair briefs file

N Cook

There's nothing special about a scope.

Do a real thorough web search for a schematic or try to buy one. This will save you most of the time you otherwise spend guessing in front of the opened unit.

As you see a dot, the high voltage seems to be present and the crt seems to be ok. Before going into it, train the switches by operating them several times to see wether one doesn't give contact. Then inside, test the Y-amplifier, see wether the last stage of the X-amp gets the sawtooth and go from there on.

Beware the high voltages! Good luck, H.

Reply to
Heinz Schmitz

If you care to email me on the address outlined on URL below I have a service manual with schematics for that scope, not to whatever apparent email address this posting may show.

N Cook

As a point of interest the M of DM64 means alalog memory as used in early computers. I've never seen one but apparently it is possible to have a fault condition with the retention voltages inside such CRTs that lead to random discharges giving a glorious internal fireworks display. Anyone seen such in person ?

As someone said, as you have a dot , you are probably onto a winner

N Cook

I forget what model I had. Similar problems. It was a monster. I gave up. I was glad to ditch it.I did get it to work, but the calibration was off.

greg

Reply to
GregS