motherboard repair

I have a sony vaio laptop VPCEF3E1E with a faulty motherboard - the laptop won't come on properly. The screen is blank and when the power button is pressed the three panel lights flicker briefly and that's all, there's no fan action. I'm given to understand this is a common fault with these laptops and it comes down to a component on the motherboard. Problem is I can't find out which component it is. I'm handy with a soldering iron so if anyone is familiar with this and knows the rogue component I'd be grateful to know. The writing on the motherboard says: HannStar J MV-6 94V-0 D A ONE 8MB C60 REV: C Laptop service tag is: C104NQ4S

Reply to
tg

Do the same people who tell you it's a particular component say that it can be fixed? Motherboards are multi-layer -- I don't know how many layers -- and are I presume harder to fix than single layer or two-sided circuit boards are.

Much as I despise web forums, this is probably better for you.

or the VAIO laptop forum there, since maybe it's not just this model with this problem, and even if it is just this model, some really knowledgable guy might only read a broader forum.

Also, if I may, if you give more details in the subject line, like the brand or model number, you're more likely to find someone who knows the answer, esp. in a busy forum like this one or the Sony forum above. (actually you're more specific than a lot of people who would say just computer repair or even repair.

Reply to
micky