Ideas wanted for Go-kart

I did some searching in the news groups but didnt quite find what I was looking for. I would like a project for me and my 10 year old son, he's quite crafty with his K'nex and legos always making some weird contraption along with the old pc parts and vcr's. So I thought it would be nice to move on to something larger scale, like a go kart or something similar. I know that horizontal shaft engines are easiest to convert and I should be able to find an old roto tiller or something similar, but have no idea how to make a working drive train from motor to wheels. I was thinking of making the frame out of wood and re-inforcing with angle iron since its much easier to shape. I was hoping that theres some diagrams or pics out there and maybe a few helpful hints :)

Reply to
spongehead

Tiller engines in the 3 to 5 HP range are plentiful and easy to work with. A simple, common drive consists of a centrifugal clutch with integral drive sprocket on the engine and a larger sprocket attached to one of the rear wheels. Don't skimp on brakes, very important. Northern Equipment carries a variety of stuff from engines to wheels and plans to kits. For safety and durability, I'd avoid wood for any of the frame or suspension. You can do a lot with angle iron using a good drill and hacksaw.

Reply to
Ol' Duffer

Most simple go karts use a simple centrifical clutch and chain sprocket setup. Try any small engine repair shop for the parts at a decent price. You'll need a horizontal shaft engine, say a Briggs or a Techumseh. A centrifical clutch and sprocket assembly to match the shaft size of said engine, a few feet of chain and a final drive sprocket and shaft. Also drive hubs and wheels. I've seen some older models of riding mowers adapted for use as a go-kart. You might look into that also.

Reply to
none

Your post tweaked my curiosity. I have no desire or plans to build a go kart, but as a mental excercise, it started me wondering how one would build the drive train with a *vertical* shaft engine...which are in much greater supply these days. In fact, I'd donate one if somebody wanted to try.

One scenario would be of course, a twisted belt drive, where a twist in the belt converted the vertical torque to horizontal.

I wonder if there are any small tractor or other purpose-built differentials out there. They could be shifted 45 degrees to point straight up....

Probably useless speculation...I just wondered if anybody had done it.

jak

Reply to
jakdedert

Most of them use a solid axel supported by ball bearings which can be ordered from places like McMaster-Carr. Normally a sprocket is then bolted or welded to the shaft and a chain connects that to a centrifugal clutch mounted to the motor shaft. Simple and generally robust.

Make sure you design the steering and layout carefully so the weight is ballanced and the cart stable, I've ridden some that flipped very easily.

Reply to
James Sweet

build

the

differentials

I saw a surplus place online somewhere that had right-angle drive gearboxes that would work, though a twisted belt would probably be the simplest.

Reply to
James Sweet

gearboxes

You'll lose more than half the power if it's a worm drive.

NSM

These are some great ideas. I looked online for centifugal clutches and they are cheap enough. I think that and a sprocket with chain is the easiest and cheapest way to go. I have a dump nearby and theres always lawnmowers and angle iron in there. The hard part is getting the frame pieces and putting it together without a welder.

Reply to
spongehead

Sign up for a welding class at your local tech college / high school and make this your project.

NSM

Hi...

See if you can't find one that you can talk into letting the youngster attend in some capacity with you.

Might have to sign a terrible terrible lot of waivers; but keep it a father/son project from start to finish. Great bonding experience. Will make for some mighty wonderful memories for both of you as you get long in the tooth (like me :)

Might even be able to contribute a little extra for materials and have your welding done as part of the class ?

Take care.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Weitzel

"spongehead" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Rent a welder or gas torch. Brazing is not that hard,either. You can also buy angle iron at Home Depot.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

I was day dreaming today about using a vertical shaft motor. Why wouldnt it be possible to attach a universal joint, maybe 2 - 45 degree joints to make the horizontal shaft? The end of the shaft would have to be stabilized but that could be fairly easy to remedy. Than attach your chain to the axel with the sprocket and centrifugal clutch.

Reply to
spongehead

It could be done, it's just a matter of what's more lossy. 45 degrees is a lot for a U joint, usually they're run 10-20 degrees but it could be done.

Reply to
James Sweet

Ive seen those heli-cal u-joints, those look expensive though. I saw them on Texonics.com for free, but minimum purchase is 150.00. So if you need some switches and things, get a couple free things

spongehead