Security system ideas wanted

I'm wondering if anyone can give me some ideas. I have a few floating in my head, but the problem I'm having is, person who approached me with this question doesn't want to have to invest big bucks for a short time. Let me elaborate.

Problem: A person is getting into someone's mail box and going through the mail. We feel it would be too costly and/or disruptive to have anyone watch. So, I was asked about a security camera set up.

My idea(s): I'm thinking a system activated by a micro switch when the mail box is opened, which would be by only 3 people. The mailman, perpetrator and owner. That way, no "constant" taping or viewing would be required. I'm running several set ups in my mind, but am really wanting to go with the switch in the mail box. I may change my mind depending on equipment finally picked to use.

What to use?: It is only wanted until the perpetrator is caught Probably no more than a couple weeks - maybe up to a month. A VCR may be used... I believer the party may already have one. But the camera would probably have to be bought. Such a waste for a short period of time. OR, is there a place via mail - that rents equipment? OR any "known" dealers nation wide which are known to rent equipment of such nature?

Any ideas for this sort of set up? IF this were for long term/permanent use, there would be no problem. It is just the idea of all the cash outlay for such a very short period of time.

Thanks in advance!

TBA

Reply to
TBA

mail

and

finally

It's easier than that. It's possible to get wireless web cams for your PC. Hook one of these up and run recording S/W on your PC. Recording S/W with motion detection is available - So it starts recording when it detects motion in the picture and continues to record for a preset time. Usually the sensitivity is adjustable so that a small amount of motion doesn't trigger recording.

At least two types of wireless camera systems exist:

1) Systems that use wireless for a point to point link but don't form part of a network (eg they come with a base station that connects to your PC by USB or capture card). This type can interfere with wireless LANs on the same frequency.

(Example not a recommendation)

2) Systems that look like a LAN device and integrate with a standard wireless LANs. For this you need a wireless router or similar wireless hub.

(Example not a recommendation)

The Linksys above appears to operate from a 5V mains adaptor - so it should be easy to rig up a battery supply if the mail box is some distance away from a mains supply.

Colin

Reply to
CWatters

There are cheap web-cam's with software that grabs pictures every n seconds and compares each new picture with the last. If there is no change between the pictures they discard the new picture. That can give terrific compression if you have a scene where there aren't leaves fluttering in the wind, etc.

Reply to
Don Taylor

Ideas offered thus far sound good. It goes with the presumption that the mail box owner has a computer at home. If he does, I'm not aware of. I'd have to ask to be sure. Some people use them at work because they "have" to. When they go home, they want no parts of them. This person may fall into that category! He's not much for computers - from the way he talks.

Thanks for the info thus far. I appreciate it.

TBA

Reply to
TBA

to.

x10 types can also be connected to a VCR.

Many wireless cams also have a built in microphone or phono input for audio. Perhaps you could use the sound channel to transmit the door open signal using an audio tone? Use it to trigger the VCR by hacking a cheap remote?.

Reply to
CWatters

Thanks, I'll start doing some checking.

TBA

Reply to
TBA

So go to the Salvation Army thrift store, buy a dead vcr, take the case and duct tape it over the top of the pc case, tell him it is a vcr, he'll never know the difference :)

From your description YOU are on the hook to provide all the equipment and do the whole job anyway.

Another option is to get a cheap old 8 or 16 mm movie camera that has the little button to take one frame and wait for the next button press. Decades ago I had one of those to use for time-lapse photography. At a few seconds per frame one roll of film is enough for a long time.

Reply to
Don Taylor

Check x10.com frequently ;-) They often have wired b&w cameras (60 ft cable) with a motion sensor and VCR controller for under $100. The (wireless) motion sensor triggers the VCR to record for 5 minutes when motion is detected. The video and audio aren't broadcast quality, but you can recognize people.

I got two wired cameras and the other "goodies" for $70 a few months ago - came back from a trip and found grafitti on the back of the house - and haven't had any activity since installing the camera. Not sure if the perpetrators were scared off by the camera or by the police who came by several times - the patorl officer to take a report, a crime scene unit to make pictures, etc.

Since you didn't specify the distance between the mailbox and the VCR, it's hard to determine what might work best. Wireless cameras with the same motion sensor and VCR controller are about $40 more than the wired ones, but they require AC power within a few feet of the camera

- unless you have a BIG rechargeable battery to provide power. The wired camera uses a single cable (about the size of inside telephone wiring) to carry power to the camera and video & audio back to the VCR.

The wried cameras are black - they have a white version for a few dollars more.

John

Reply to
John

I'm not real sure of the distance between the Camera and VCR yet myself. Depends on where we end up mounting it. Can do it in a garage nook not far from the mail box OR leave the VCR in the main part of the house. The camera perhaps in a tree facing the mailbox or in a crevice under the garage roof, facing the mail box.

It's beginning to look like x10 equipment may be the way to go, but for such a short time, the expense is a bit more than was "desired". BUT, we'll have to do what we have to do! Cheaper than paying someone to watch the place. As to the VCRs, if he doesn't have any on hand and I'd find that hard to believe, I have about 4 or 5 here laying around.

Thanks for all the tips guys! I do appreciate it.

TBA

Reply to
TBA

such

Some places will rent you a video camera.

Perhaps you could just set up a vcr and rented video camera if that garage you mentioned is close enough.

Reply to
CWatters

Thanks, hopefully - that will be able to be done. The guy sketched out his home and I was there once, but about 5 years ago! My memory isn't "that" good. I had no reason to "remember" it. If the actions take place as I am told, then it should only take a couple weeks to a month - max to complete the task. Then once the culprits are caught on tape, present it for further action. Had this been a "fixed" system, I wouldn't have been inquiring, as then cost wouldn't have been much of an issue for long term. Just seemed such a waste for big bucks to do a very short term job.

Thanks again,

TBA

Reply to
TBA