ibm selectric II

i have recently discovered my late father's selectric that has been unused for about 25 years. as an engineer i have enjoyed getting it back in order (what a feat of IBM mechanical engineering!) and now everything works perfectly EXCEPT the lever for switching between 10 characters/inch and 12 c/in. it moves only abit but doesn't seem to slot into place and character spacing stays on 12 regardless of a 10 c/ in golfball inplace. i dont want to force anything. can anyone help? ps also found boxes of unused typing 'ribbons' ,the use once type, which are still giving top quality print - amazing.

Reply to
d.gamberini

You should do a Google search and look around for someone who can service this for you. As for myself, I would want to properly preserve this prize typewriter. I would give it out to a professional service man and pay the few dollars to have it properly fixed.

I have an old Remington from 1963. I found someone near to me that was still servicing these for collectors. It is now in very good condition.

--

JANA _____

Reply to
JANA

Having serviced thousands of Selectrics over 25 years ago, I can tell you they don't like lying around unused. The oil combines with dust and "gunges up" moving parts. As well as the pitch lever (10/12) jamming, you can expect keys on the keyboard to feel stiff and jam, and you can expect the several spring clutches to slip. As a first course of action I would recommend a thorough washout with solvent (kerosine will do), then a careful lubrication of various components. Getting hold of a service manual is necessary, as there are many fiddly adjustments.

Henry. Australia

Reply to
hemyd

You call 1963 old? :)

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Sam Goldwasser

Well, not for YOU. After all, you built your first radio with a brand new Fleming valve that he made just for you! ;-)

--
aioe.org is home to cowards and terrorists

Add this line to your news proxy nfilter.dat file
* drop Path:*aioe.org!not-for-mail to drop all aioe.org traffic.

http://improve-usenet.org/index.html
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

still

Nah, they were already in the discount bin at Radio Shack. :)

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Sam Goldwasser

Uh. Yeah. Sure. Ok. If you say so. ;-)

--
aioe.org is home to cowards and terrorists

Add this line to your news proxy nfilter.dat file
* drop Path:*aioe.org!not-for-mail to drop all aioe.org traffic.

http://improve-usenet.org/index.html
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

At any of the thrift stores around here, I wouldn't give more than three dollars for any kinds of typewriters (not nowadays, anyway) no matter how ''good'' such and such a typewriter is supposed to be. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

You may already have this manual, however, here are my 2C.

The following link has some manuals for IBM Selectric/Selectric ii Typewriters. May help you in solving your problem.

Regards,

Ravi.

(India)

Reply to
moghe.family

d - i'm in exactly the same situation your are - i'm an engineer with my late dad's selectric typewriter and would like to refurbish it. I'm reluctant to pay $30-50 for a copy of a service manual of unknown value and one that probably cost the current owner almost nothing to copy on to a CD. Can you provide a copy of a manual at a reasonable cost? Would be happy to share technical solutions with you regarding any problems and tricks we discover along the way. sincerely,

Barry Hoberman

Reply to
hobermanb

And I would actually pick it up, recondition it and walk away with a

75%+ profit margin. I still sell a lot of used typewriters and still get a lot of them in for repairs.

Reply to
Luc

Heck, I still repair the old mechanical typewriters. I have a couple of writers that always bring their typewriters in for tune ups. They claim that nobody can hack their typewriters and that is why they still use them.

Reply to
Luc

The pitch lever should be on the left side of the platten so remove the platten and check to make sure the pan is sitting in place properly. The other problem will be the platten gear. The pitch hook should have a spring attached to it, make sure it is there and it is also in good shape. Make sure that the gear on the platten is not loos or slipping. There should be some spline screws to tighten it up with.

Reply to
Luc