USB Multimeter for Temp ??

I have a Fluke 87 and a Fluke 80T-150 temperature probe that outputs 1 mV/deg F....but I'm getting lazy... I'd like to find a reasonably priced but accurate and durable multimeter with a USB interface and software so I can log temp with some kind of time stamp using my Fluke temp probe. If someone experience with any I'd like to know what's available new and used. I'm attempting to evaluate some insulation and thermal mass for a passive solar home design. tnx

--

73
Hank WD5JFR

I too am looking for a voltage data logger with USB output and software. I can find some fairly inexpensive thermal loggers like this, but nothing that is, say, a 200mV input logger. The thermal ones I have seen look like a USB memory stick.

Neil S.

Reply to
nesesu

Why tie up the multimeter..

This does not look bad:

But if you insist:

Fred Bloggs

Henry Kolesnik

Here's what $40 gets you, note the limited measurement range and sample frequency:

Fred Bloggs

These may be the best solution, if you don't need real-time updating on the PC.

I used a bunch of them to evaluate a Solar Air Heater I designed
along with other passive cooling and heating aspects of my home. You can use as many as you want and actually get thermal mappings of a space. i.e. suspend then at different heights in a room and get a map of the temperature layers. I've put then in air ducts, in water, as contact thermometers etc

Infinitely better than a PC and a multimeter.

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

Wow this is promiscuously cross-posted...

Where you can install a computer, one could use 1-Wire devices and software like 'digitemp' or roll-your-own.

For standalone, I have used educational data loggers like the TI CBL and serial-port interfaced loggers from the likes of DH, Vernier or Fourier, which for the more general purpose models include a 200mv range.

Michael

Reply to
msg

I like the Microdaq unit. Good price, good value.

A couple cheaper units, pretty good prices:

$59.95 USD. Includes software, temperature range from -25 to +80°C. Logging intervals from 10 seconds to 12 hours and capacity of more than 16,000 readings.

Omega has what appears to be the same unit as above, @$60 USD.

Dave M
MasonDG44 at comcast dot net  (Just substitute the appropriate characters in the
address)

"In theory, there isn\'t any difference between theory and practice.  In
practice, there is."  - Yogi Berra
Reply to
DaveM

F....but I'm getting lazy...

a USB interface and software so I can log

experience with any I'd like to know what's

thermal mass for a passive solar home design.

Omega has the OM-62, standalone. I've worked with one, stick it where you want, then download the data. Temp dew point and RH.

Martin Riddle

Wow, my options are getting better and better.. Please keep sending them in.. thanks

Reply to
Henry Kolesnik

messagenews:oHeDj.1493$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr19.news.prodigy.net...

F....but I'm getting lazy...

with a USB interface and software so I can log

experience with any I'd like to know what's

thermal mass for a passive solar home design.

want, then download the data. Temp dew point and

The Themrochron iButtons are a much sexier solution. Only $25ea, have up to a 10 year battery life, are waterproof, and are only the size a few stacked coins.

Serial and USB readers are available, and data can be exported to Excel etc. You can get little plastic tags to attach them to to things too. I hang one off my harness when I go canyoning, to log the water temp.

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

I was also working on a project which required temperature to be monitored in many discrete points, over a period of time. There's several options, but I believe the best to be as below:

These are cheap, simple, accurate enough, easy to use, and pretty much perfect for your application. The previous generation of logger we used (ACR) were about $800 per unit, and these do basically the same thing for $30 a piece. Thank you China! It would be prudent to buy several, and put them in different spots so you can also evaluate temperature variations.

I think it will save you time, and get you better and more useful data if you go with this approach rather than trying to use a general purpose multimeter.

Reply to
maxhifi

the Fluke 289 series has a nice trending graph in it and if you want to link it to the PC, it has an IR port which many laptops have..including desktops. I own a 289, I like it. It can do up to 200 hours of recording and data can be read back in a chart etc..

--
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5"
Reply to

Check that out. It can computer link of show the data on it's own VGA screen along with saving it for later viewing.

"

Reply to
Jamie

William Noble

Found another option which may be the least expensive and that is a DataWatch Elite M2000 temperature logger with LCD display and is RS232 but works with a conversion cable to USB. Come with software and can store 1,868 samples, sampling at 1 to 255 minutes with a real-time clock, -40F to +158F. Cost $45.00.. Replaceable lithium cell runs it for a year. I have a PDF spec sheet if anyone wants it, let know.

--

73 Hank WD5JFR "Jamie" wrote >> I have a Fluke 87 and a Fluke 80T-150 temperature probe that outputs
Reply to

Google can't find it, how about a link ?

donald

Reply to
donald

PCI is going away if not already completely gone on new PCs, USB will be here for quite a while in some form. USB also allows you to easily move the device from one PC to another, and connect it to laptops.

Reply to
James Sweet

I think it's because more and more people are moving to laptops and USB, IEEE-1394 and PC-Card's are the only ports available.

Henry Kolesnik