Motor clutch slipping on Selectric

Hi all. Recently picked up a selectric. Initially the machine wouldn't turn on, but once I removed the cover and manually rotated and broke loose the centrifugal clutch attached to the motor and belt, it turned on. Apparently they can get like this after sitting for a long time and accumulating gunk and what not. Anyways after I broke it loose the motor ran, but the clutch immediately started slipping in the belt when trying to engage. I cleaned the clutch off really thoroughly. I even compared it to another clutch I ha ve on a different Selectric. They both look exactly the same in every way. And that clutch works. So I'm having a tough time believing that it's the c lutch that's bad. Now the carriage on the machine is stuck all the way on t he left side and I cannot pull it to the right to save my life. Basically I can't tell if the clutch isn't letting the inner shaft rotate because it's broken, or something in the inner shaft mechanisms are jammed up and that' s what is causing the clutch to slip as it takes too much force for the clu tch to handle. Is this happening because the carriage is stuck on the left side? And if so, how can I release it manually? Any information would be gr eatly appreciated! Thanks all!

Reply to
brewercorey98

Glad to see I'm not the only one with these things. I have 5-6 of them, one I bought used in 1989. I have a bunch of ribbons and assorted golf balls too.

--
Jeff-1.0
wa6fwi