Dell 152FPc fixed

Anyone who has one of the above (or similar) can reference the info here:

in order to apply the same fix which was successful for me, on this monitor I received for free.

I replaced the exact 1000 mmf 16v 105C unit shown (C992) on the site with what I had laying around, a 25 volt 85c cap. The original was obviously discolored and bulged. Although the model # was slightly different, the inverter board was identical. I hope that uprating the voltage will prove sufficient, but wonder what the chances are that I'll have to open this one up again to fit a 105c part. It's working fine now....

jak

Reply to
jakdedert

The higher voltage is very good, but the underrated temperature spec could be a problem. If the cap goes shorted, this can cause much more damage than it is worth! Take the effort and order a cap with the proper temperature spec. If you have the physical space for a higher voltage rate cap this is also better. As for the uF of the cap, these are not usually very critical, especially for filtering or low frequency decoupling.

--

JANA _____

in order to apply the same fix which was successful for me, on this monitor I received for free.

I replaced the exact 1000 mmf 16v 105C unit shown (C992) on the site with what I had laying around, a 25 volt 85c cap. The original was obviously discolored and bulged. Although the model # was slightly different, the inverter board was identical. I hope that uprating the voltage will prove sufficient, but wonder what the chances are that I'll have to open this one up again to fit a 105c part. It's working fine now....

jak

Reply to
JANA

Thanks. You can see an analysis of the circuit, and the cap's place in it (filter on the secondary side of the SMP), at the URL I cited. I did it initially as a 'proof of concept' since I can get a few more of these now that I've proved they're easily fixable.

I can pick the cap up locally. I'll do so. The hardest part of the repair was getting the damn thing apart without breaking/scratching anything. It was all plastic clips, no screws at all. Now that I've got it down, I could probably fix up to maybe two of three of these an hour.

jak

Reply to
jakdedert

On Sun, 16 Mar 2008 16:08:24 -0500, jakdedert put finger to keyboard and composed:

It's better to use a 105degC, low ESR type, otherwise you won't have peace of mind.

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

I understand that. I was seeking 'some' peace of mind, or evidence that it would be misplaced. I got that (the latter), thanks. I used what I had available on a Sunday. I need to put my ESR meter together. Perhaps I'll do that this week, as I have accumulated quite a backlog of repair jobs...and a fresh pound of 60/40.

I'll buy the part this week, and cross my fingers until then. JANA said that the value was not critical in this part of the circuit. Most of my experience is with non SM supplies. Looking at the circuit explanation on the link in the OP, do you concur? I actually 'have' a 1500mmf 25v which I could have used. I won't open it up again until I have a new part, but, in your opinion, would that have worked? I wouldn't have hesitated to uprate the value by that much in a conventional supply...based on 'parts on hand'.

Thanks again.

jak

Reply to
jakdedert

I really don't think you'll have a problem. I usually like to use 105C capacitors, I would be shocked if the temperature is anywhere near 85C that standard caps are good for. 105's will probably last a bit longer, but the cap you put in there may give you 5-10 years of service.

Reply to
James Sweet