I'm getting arcs across the exterior back of the tube!! HELP!!

Went to the thrift store and looked at a TV. everything was fine for the first five seconds or so it was on, then I heard arcs goin' off like mad. I opened up the back and they were shooting across the back of the tube around where an orange wire was mounted to it with what looked like an EKG pad(medical ref.) Judging from the power source (a bunch of undersized and ratty extension cords) It could have been not grounded or experiencing a line voltage issue. I immediately started looking for a capacitor but I'm an installer of HVAC equipment by trade and troubleshooting is not my area of expertise. If anyone has a simple answer please reply. It was an NEC w/built in dolby stereo receiver (don't have the model #, didn't get to look long). Thanks.

Reply to
HVACguy

The high voltage is arcing between the high voltage output connection to the CRT, and the ground of the CRT. It's likely there is excessive high voltage due to a regulation failure, or it's just dirty.

Nothing to do with ratty extension cords. :)

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Mirror:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Note: These links are hopefully temporary until we can sort out the excessive traffic on Repairfaq.org.

Important: Anything sent to the email address in the message header above is ignored unless my full name is included in the subject line. Or, you can contact me via the Feedback Form in the FAQs.

Reply to
Sam Goldwasser

That suction cup looking thing is an insulating cap over where the anode lead clips onto the tube. The most common cause of arcing there is collected dust that absorbs moisture and becomes conductive. The arcing burns it into carbon which is even more conductive and the problem gets worse.

What I do to fix these is to discharge the tube, then clean the area around the anode real well with simple green or something similar to get all the grime and carbon off, and clean the anode cap as well. Then get some dielectric grease from an automotive store (look in the spark plug section) and smear a coat of it on the bottom of the suction cup and reassemble, should be good as new.

Reply to
James Sweet

And don`t stick your finger in the hole in the glass tube! even after you discharged it

Ron

Reply to
Ron(UK)

Nor your tongue (he said, tongue in cheek). :-)

Tom

Reply to
Tom MacIntyre

Ahh well, unless he is Homer Simpson he will only do it once!

David

Tom Mac> >

Reply to
quietguy

My favorite episode of the "Beverly Hillbillies" - where Jethro tried to X-Ray the bear!

NSM