Toshiba beta V

I haven't played any tapes in my Toshiba V-S443C Betahi-fi VCR (this is Beta, not VHS) in several months. I just tried, and they don't play. The machine tries for a second, then stops itself. When I got the machine, it didn't rewind, but that is not so much of a problem because another machine in the basement works for that! Now the machine won't play or rewind, but it will fast-forward.

I have a feeling that something rubber inside the Beta box has slackened. But before I open 'er up, how do I know that I will be able to replace the rubber band, if it is that? Is it the kind of thing I could get from an electronics supply store? I suppose it doesn't help, so far as availability goes, that I'm in Canada.

I feel confident opening up a computer box, but I'm a novice at VCR repair.

Thanks.

--
Jonathan Berry
Reply to

Try

Doug

Chances are a rubber belt in the machine has went bad. It was going bad when you used the machine months ago since the belt couldn't supply enough friction for tapes to rewind which is a common early sympton, but now it has lost even more friction. Now the VCR senses a major problem in the tape transport due to a malfunctioning belt and shuts down automatically. It's easy to replace VCR belts. There should be about 4 screws securing the top cover. Make sure the AC cord is unplugged, remove the cover and look for rubber belts. Sometimes belts are located on the bottom sides of VCRs, so you may need to remove a few screws to remove the bottom metal plate. Some belts are so small you can use O rings found at most home improvement stores for a few cents each. If it's larger, you can try using a rubber band. A rubber band fix may not last permanently, but it will get you by and you'll know how to replace it again if necessary. Good luck.

Reply to
testortool

now this is something i am familiar with.

let me know if i can be of assitance :)

there should be a plate door >Chances are a rubber belt in the machine has went bad. It was going bad when

Reply to
rutman