HP 42S Calculator problem - Keeps switching off after turn-on

I have a HP 42S calculator and it switches off imediately after switching on. In some cases the display will flash for a split second, in other cases it doesn't show anything. If I press the ON key fast enough I can keep the display on until I release the key.

The self test (ON-LOG) works just fine, and passes OK (it does not switch off in this mode) . But at the end it just switches off. ON-ROOT (the reset function) works and very briefly displays "Machine Reset"

I can adjust the contrast, and even get it to do calculations if I press a key fast enough at power on, but it switches back off again as before.

Here is an inside shot:

As you can see there aren't many components to go faulty...

I have soldered the metal tabs to the PCB in case they weren't making contact, no difference. I have run the unit from a DC supply in case the batteries internal resistance is shot, no difference. I have replaced the top tantalum cap, no difference. The bottom cap and diode seem to be part of the dot martix display refresh/contast, remove the cap and the display dims, remove the diode and full contrast. It's not the SRAM connections, because as I said it passes all internal memory self tests.

Anyone know anything about the 42S and can shed some light on this? Thanks Dave :)

Reply to
David L. Jones

Have you checked the battery (ies). Tha is typically what happens when the battery(ies) are headed to the great recycle bin.

H. R.(Bob) Hofmann

David L. J> I have a HP 42S calculator and it switches off imediately after

Reply to
hrhofmann

Yes, I have changed them, and as I mentioned, I have even ran it from a bench supply to eliminate any possibility of the batteries.

Dave :)

Reply to
David L. Jones