HP 2550L prints dirty bands on each page

The printer prints well, but it prints with a dirty band of near 2 centimeter width all across each page in the left part of it. For example, printing in B&W a text page, i can read the text all over the sheet, but the part of the band appears with a medium gray tone, darker in the center of the band an lighter in the borders.

The drum is disty too. It has what i think is toner in the two roller, the white roller and the light green roller. When i clean it completely (with alcohol), it print well, without the band, sometimes just a few pages, sometimes some hundres of pages, but in the end it begins to print dirty again.

I think it may be the drum that it's bad, but i'm not sure. May be any other part wich is getting the drum dirty? the drum is expensive enough for not to change ir just for testing pourpouses.

any help?

thanks

Reply to
Fernando Peral

Your problem could be the drum, but is much more likely to be the toner cartridge.

Reply to
Brenda Ann

Brenda Ann Inscribed thus:

If the band is across the page its likely to be a drum problem. If the band runs down the page its probably a toner problem. Usually if there is a drum fault the band repeats itself several times on the page.

Taking the toner cartridge out and giving it a good side to side shake often will clear bits of toner that has caught under the scraper blade.

--
Best Regards:
                     Baron.

And rotating backwards a couple of turns

Reply to
N_Cook

And while you do that, make sure there isn't a funny electronics and plastic putty stuff attached to it!

Reply to
Jamie

Ok. I decode that as a 2cm wide vertical strip. Since the 2550L is a color laser printer, is this stripe any particular color? If it's sorta light gray, then the problem is in the fuser roller assembly. If you see a corresponding vertical stripe on the rollers or corresponding burned area on the fuser film strip, it's time for a rebuild.

Sounds like the fuser, not the drum.

Also sounds like the fuser. If it were the drum, it would not respond to cleaning. What's happening is that the burned area of the fuser film strip is picking up and holding toner from the previous pages and depositing it slowly on subsequent pages. The clue is the light grey color, which is a mix of all the colors or a light application of black toner. The darker area in the center is also a characteristic of a burned stripe in the fuser film. You should be able to see it if you remove the fuser and visually inspect it.

  1. Search eBay for "hp 2550 fuser". Note the seriously overpriced replacement films. My guess is that's what you need, but you may need to look around for something more reasonably priced.
  2. Ask the same question at:

You might get better answers in a printer specific forum.

  1. Laser Printer printing defects:

  1. If you're going to replace your own fuser film, you'll also need some really high temp PTFE grease.

Yes, that's $1 per gram.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

A light leak, or a dirty corona wire, can do something like this. Light leaks usually mean a case part is not closed properly. The corona wire has a HV connection and is usually reachable (on some models it's in the printer, on some it's part of the cartridge). Alcohol on a cotton swab is appropriate.

Reply to
whit3rd

Nope. A light leak will cause a blurry white stripe, not a gray stripe. Since it's not focused, it's usually a fairly wide white stripe. Unless the case is cracked, I haven't seen this on modern laser printer designs. I have seen it when operating a laser printer with the covers removed. The light leak is usually uneven, resulting in a change of print density across the page. I place a cardboard box over the printer to reduce the problem when running test prints.

A dirty corona wire will also cause a white, not gray, strip. Because it's not focused or in direct contact with the paper, it tends to create a blurry wide white stripe. The 2550L does not have the traditional corona wire. It's built into the toner cartridges and has morphed into either a corona strip or corona roller (I forgot which).

Common Laser Printer Problems

Learn how to troubleshoot and repair laser printers

See Fig E, which is what I think is the culprit.