Geode on Linux - tech info page updated

Pursuant to my questions here recently, and a week and a half of slaving inside PCM-5820 BIOS code, I've updated my Linux-on-Geode-SBCs information page. for everyone who's interested.

Reply to
Lewin A.R.W. Edwards

Thanks Lewin. I don't use audio, so most of my problems are gone, but I have called up my board supplier (Acrosser) to find out how to get them not to update the BIOS rev and not tell us.

I think I'll pick up a copy of your book too.

--
Alex Pavloff - remove BLAH to email
Software Engineer, ESA Technology

Yeah - I can't tell you how pissed off I was (am) at Advantech for sneaking this in. It wouldn't be so bad, if they hadn't revved the hardware as well... it would have meant sending out a few reflash CDs but we could have stomached that.

The one good thing to come out of it all is that I was previously unaware of how to customize the Award BIOS. I've also learned a lot about the Geode's architecture - previously I was using it largely as a black box. As I nurse my evening pint, I console myself with the thought that it has been a splendid learning experience.

I doubt you need it - but thanks :) Every copy sold gains valuable brownie points with my publisher, so if my next book is a dismal failure I'll still have a shot at a third ;) (memo to self.. must work hard this weekend).

Reply to
Lewin A.R.W. Edwards

We had similar problems with Advantech and BIOS revisions. We ended up having our incoming inspection folks eyeball each board and determine the BIOS revision. New revisions would prompt a phone call to the engineers to hit the Advantech web site and see what changed. We were using a locally-modified BIOS in our product and if the revision didn't affect us we'd just use an older modified BIOS. If the revision was worthwhile, we'd modify the stock BIOS with our extensions.

Kelly

Reply to
Kelly Hall

We *USED* to be signed up for Advantech ECNs. Due to some administrative error related to the way we initially made contact with Advantech, we dropped off the notify list. That's why we never found out about the revs.

Reply to
Lewin A.R.W. Edwards

LOL - I never knew they had such a thing ;)

Kelly

Reply to
Kelly Hall

Does anyone know how to set framebuffer (if possible) on PCM 5820 to 320x240 resolution?

Reply to
Sumit Birla

320x240

Either use BIOS calls to do it, or use my patches to the nsc_drv.o driver. The current X distri doesn't work with scandoubled video modes due to a bug.

svgalib also works (through BIOS).

Reply to
Lewin A.R.W. Edwards

Thanks, Lewin. What is nsc_drv.o? Is it a framebuffer driver that will allow me to use console and Qt/Embedded applications or is it X-server specific?

bug.

Reply to
Sumit Birla