HP Deskjet 990Cxi prints `in white!'

Hi,

I've got an old Hp Deskjet 990Cxi which suddenly decided to print nothing. When I send a document to the printer, it behaves as before (paper is taken, cartridges move, etc.), but the resulting page is still as white as it was before printing.

The problem does not come from the computer, because I tried several things. Among them,

  • Printing test: holding the resume button for more than 4 secs. makes it print, but the page is still white;
  • Technical test: having the power button hold, and then pressing 4 times the resume button. A page seems to be printed (same behaviour), but, just as before, nothing is printed, despite cartridges' movements, etc.

Any idea? I need to make it work.

Thanks.

Reply to
Merciadri Luca

You can't print in white. Replace your catridge. After a while either you'll run out of ink or the ink head will dry up.

Reply to
Jeff Johnson

Sounds like it is out of ink and the ink level sensing is kaput.

Question about computer peripherals belong in the group with that device in its name. For printers, that's

JeffM

topics

But cartridges are brand new. -> out of ink is impossible.

I don't want to print white. I just say that it looks just as if it was printing white: nothing appears, despite cartridges' moves on the sheet.

Reply to
Merciadri Luca

/topics

So?

Why are you asking a question about printers in a newsgroup devoted to basic topics related to electronics? You aren't asking about resistors or capacitors, which this newsgroup is about.

Even if you were asking to repair the printer, there is another newsgroup for that, which you've alrady found and asked the same off-topic question. Not only could you not find the right newsgroup, you guest about two=20 different newsgroups, neither of which were relevant at this point.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black

that's

Did you remove the protective tape from the printhead?
Reply to
John Fields

Merciadri Luca Inscribed thus:

Yes ! Put ink in the cartridge. :-)

--
Best Regards:
                     Baron.

rs/topics

Yes. @Michael: you're right, but the other group is so polluted by spam that I don't think it worths it.

Reply to
Merciadri Luca

This is almost always the case when it is out of ink or the ink head is dry. Try soking the ink head in alchohol and warm water. Generally when I have a dry ink head I let the facet water run on the ink heat at hot.

If you can't print a test page from the printer itself then it is something to do with the printer. If it's just windows then it is a setting in windows.

Try to reset the printer. Possibly you have changed the contrast settings or something.

Just because the thing looks like it's printing doesn't mean ink is actually coming out. If you were out of ink it would do exactly that unless it would not print because of low ink.

Search google for similar problems. Could be an issue with your computer. HP is notorious for screwing their customers.

Reply to
Jeff Johnson

that's

If you don't like spam, get rid of Google and get a real news service. If you like Google, you like spam. Simple.

Reply to
krw

ry.

ng

or

lly

ld

HP

Thanks for the alcohol trick. It worked!

Reply to
Merciadri Luca