Energy Bands

Hi....We did energy bands in class a few weeks ago...i should say that i am clueless to a certain extent....

I have no idea about what effective mass is...can someone explain the concept behind effective mass...i mean how can mass vary???the prof drew a graph of the second derivative of energy against k...and it was a kind of a sinusoidal wave...the prof mentioned that the point where the second derivative is 0 is the point where effective mass is infinite....how can mass be infinite...if it is...wont the system become heavy???

Also, i didn't understand the reason for drawing the graph of energy against k....it seems to be of no real consequence....

thank you... sunil

Reply to
Sunil

Although not often covered overtly in your typical physics classes, physics recognizes three types of mass:

  1. Active gravitational mass
  2. Passive gravitational mass
  3. Inertial mass

They correspond to the m's in the formulae:

F = M*m/r^2

F = m*a

Thanks to what's called Einstein's equivalence principle we say that 1, 2, and 3 are numerically equal.

Now, what you're concerned with for effective mass is the inertial mass and the formula F = m*a. With a slight rearrangement we have m = F/a.

Electrons in a material will interact with the material, so that when you apply a force F to the electron (say via an electric field), the acceleration of the electron will be influenced not only by the applied force but its interactions with the atoms in the material.

Think of a ball bearing in syrup. Although the ball bearing still has the same gravitational mass, the effective mass is increased due to the friction of the bearing with the syrup (viscosity). To achieve the same acceleration as a ball bearing in free space you need to apply more force to the ball bearing in syrup, so the m in m = F/a, the effective mass, is larger.

Reply to
Greg Neill

Yes....bt still...how can u assume effective mass to be 0 and infinite in certain cases??

Reply to
Sunil

Hmm, I don't know if this is applicable, but an electron in an insulator can't be budged and one in a super conductor will move at the slightest provication.

Reply to
James Beck