How would you test a sensitive gate TRIAC?

Trying to fix something for a family member, and suspect the NTE56041 TRIAC is faulty. Only I have no idea as to how to test this device. Anyone have any ideas? TIA for any help...

Dave

Reply to
Dave

TRIAC

have

I use a stand alone lamp dimmer with the triac removed and extended to a test socket

N_Cook

Replace it, they're cheep, 2 bucks. If it's an NTE marked part # it's been replaced before.

Reply to
Meat Plow

Aaahh. Thank you. That is something I can shoot for. Was thinking I needed to build some kind of test jig, but that is a better idea. Many thanks,

Dave

Reply to
Dave

:) Yeah, I just wanted to know how to test it, to maybe save a trip across town by bus. If my candy store stocks this part, I may just do that though.

Thanks,

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Placing the device in a known working circuit is the only real way to test it.

Reply to
Meat Plow

Dave-

Since it appears to have been replaced before, you should think about what made it fail.

Using the same TRIAC could lead to another failure. It is possible that the NTE56041 is not a correct replacement for the original failed TRIAC. Unfortunately you may not have the original part, so you can't double check the cross reference.

You might examine the application to determine maximum voltage and current, and verify the NTE part should work. See for specs.

Fred

Reply to
Fred McKenzie