How to test a remote control?

I have an STB here, and either the box itself is no longer receiving the remote's signal, or the remote itself is stuffed.

I suppose I could find one on display somewhere and test it... the question is where though!

I have an ir port on the laptop, and an USB one on my htpc - neither seem to respond in any way when I try to fire a signal from the remote their way.

Bloody warranty expired last month... I never use the thing and so only found out when it was too late. Bah.

Any ideas on how I could test this to determine which has the problem?

Tnx,

--
/J/
Reply to

"Jeßus"

** You can use a portable AM radio.

Tune the radio between stations, hold the RC close and press the buttons and a strong buzzing & clicking noise should emanate from the speaker of the radio.

This will show if the IR transmitting led is receiving current pulses.

It will not show if the IR carrier frequency has gone out of tolerance.

......... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

You can tell if an IR remote control is putting out an IR signal by pointing it at a digital camera that has an LCD viewer.

Of course, you can't tell if it's the *right* signal, but usually if the remote is putting out anything at all, it's okay.

Peter

Reply to
Pete

**Only if that camera has a CCD sensor. CMOS sensors do not respond to infra-red.
--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Good point.

Do any brand name digital cameras use CCD sensors? I thought only the real cheapies did, although now that I've seen Kodak CCD digital cameras selling for under $100, I'm not sure what a "real cheapie" is any more...

Peter

Reply to
Pete

there are "credit card" size that work and don't need batterys e.g.

I got mine from Trade Tech NZ for about $25 maybe WES has them.

if you take the unit apart, you can replace the infra red LED with a standard visible LED to test the transmitter section is working OK

I suppose I could find one on display somewhere and test it... the question is where though!

I have an ir port on the laptop, and an USB one on my htpc - neither seem to respond in any way when I try to fire a signal from the remote their way.

Bloody warranty expired last month... I never use the thing and so only found out when it was too late. Bah.

Any ideas on how I could test this to determine which has the problem?

Tnx,

-- /J/

Reply to
Frank

receiving the

it... the

htpc - neither

from the remote

thing and so only

the problem?

Do any of your other remotes have a learning function. If they learn a function they usually give an OK signal and if they don't then they give an error signal.

TT

Reply to
TT

CMOS sensors ARE a type of CCD, it's just a different fabrication technique. My CMOS camera responds almost too well to IR: a furnace glowing dull red show up as a white/pink bright on the camera pics.

Reply to
Mark Harriss

Yes, Many. Last time I checked a remote it was with an expensive DSLR. Maybe two months ago.

AJS

Reply to
AJS

Update: I got a reply on another NG, to try a digital camera, anything with a CCD... I had a webcam running, fired the remote and the white light was plainly visible through the webcam. So that means it's the STB that has the problem (I'd rather it was the remote!)

Thanks for all the replies, I'll read them all anyway :)

Cheers,

--
/J/
Stuffing around with the web cam again:

That's another good idea, yeah, I have a couple of learning remotes but completely forgot about them :) In the end I tested the remote through a web cam... the remote is working.

Thanks,

--
/J/
Stuffing around with the web cam again:
http://members.ii.net/~iijeebz/ii.jpg
Reply to
=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Je=DFus?=

**Canon. You can pay AUS$3k for a Canon which employs a CMOS sensor.
--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au