5 x 7 dot matrix LCD display

Bought one of these for a couple $ today at my local parts depot. Has 14 pins on each side, and looks like a 3-1/2 or 4 digit display. Trying to figure out how I can test/make use of such a device. Any ideas are welcome. Google doesn't help much, at least not with what I have searched on so far.

Also picked up a 3-1/2 or four digit LCD display mounted in an aluminum case with a 22 pin ribbon cable coming out he back. Says PROTO and some numbers on the back. Similarly, any ideas on how to test/make use of such a device are welcome.

Fooling around while I try to finish constructing the circuit to which I hope to affix such a device.

Thanks,

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Huh? Dot matrix LCD displays usually come as character based modules like

16x2, 16x1, 8x2, 20x2 etc Are you saying you have a 4 digit LCD not-matrix character module? A photo and/or part number would help.

What's the part number you are searching on?

Well, if you told us what the "some numbers" are that might help.

Is this like a surplus thing from a disposal store?

What exactly do you need?

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

Hey David,

Thanks for the reply. Sorry I couldnt be more specific. The 5x7 dot-matrix LCD display doesn't have any numbers on it, and yes, it is surplus from what amounts to a big junk-box. Will try to see if I can get a decent picture of it tomorrow. The other one says PROTO 804055. Couldn't find anything via Google... Both of these look like 3-1/2 digit displays. What I am trying to do is add a digital display to a transistor tester I am building, for the purpose of indicating the gain of the device under test. Was planning on using a 7106 and an LCD display, but am having trouble finding these locally. Thus my fiddling with junk parts.

Will try to upload photos to abse tomorrow.

Thanks again,

Dave

Reply to
Dave

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@i36g2000prf.googlegroups.com...

In that case forget the surplus stuff and simply use a standard 200mV FS panel meter like you mention in your previous thread. Forget getting the 7106 on its own and rolling your own, everyone carries standard panel meters. Simply scale your input voltage to suit the (usually) 200mV full scale.

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@i36g2000prf.googlegroups.com...

Sigh. Yeah, that's probably what I'm going to end up doing, at least for the meantime. Sorry for the frustrating questions. Guess I was just thinking I could make do with something simple and cheap. But then, that sounds like a standard panel meter :)

Thanks,

Dave

Reply to
Dave

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@s37g2000prg.googlegroups.com...

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@i36g2000prf.googlegroups.com...

Yup. Just make sure the panel meter you get has a "common ground" so it can use the same supply as your project. Others need their own isolated supply.

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@s37g2000prg.googlegroups.com...