How to set Panasonic DVD/VCR Combo to find digital channels?

I am trying to connect a Samsung digital TV (LE26R51BDX/XEU) to a Panasonic NV-VP31 DVD/VCR Combo. However, I don't seem to be able to get the DVD Combo to find the digital channels.

The TV has a decoder inside so I can watch the digital channels when I switch the TV to digital mode. But when I ask the DVD Combo to scan channels, it only finds the analog channels.

Are there anything I need to set either on the TV or the DVD Combo to get this to work? So that I can record digital channel program onto the VCR?

Thanks, Petre

Reply to
PHuile

Unless the TV and the recorder have "Smart-Link" capability, then you cannot record from the TV to the recorder, and even if they do have this capability, it may not work unless both are 100% compatible.

In the normal case the recorder has its own tuner (analogue) and the TV has also got a tuner (in this case two tuners as it does both analogue and digital), and the recorder will only record what its own tuner can pick up.

It MAY be possible to persuade your TV to output S-Video or composite and feed that into the recorder via one of its AUX inputs though, this will involve some heavy manual reading to determine if it can be done, and you'll find that even it can be done, you would only be able to record what you are watching on the TV at the time (even with Smart-Link).

Alternative is to get an external digibox to feed the recorder through its AUX input (or AV2 or whatever it calls it).

Dave

Reply to
David C. Partridge

The saddest things is that they are allowed to vote and raise children !

--
Marcus

I like people, they are bio-degradable !.
Reply to
Marcus

Thanks, Dave. The manual is as clear as mud on the issue!

Do you, or someone, know whether the Samsung digital TV can output the decoded digital signal? And how to route it to the VCR? I can't find anything on the manual regarding this.

Thanks aga> Unless the TV and the recorder have "Smart-Link" capability, then you cannot

Reply to
PHuile