Technics Tuner ST-Z990

Hello all...

This tuner (and a similarly designed dual well tape deck) followed me home as a result of a search for a standalone AM/FM tuner. I found a nice Kenwood analog AM/FM tuner that is holding my needs for now, but I'd like to get this Technics tuner working.

It appears as though this unit is intended for use with a companion power center or stereo system of some kind. There is only a ribbon cable leading out of the back of the unit. This design would suggest that the tuner gets power from whatever other component it is supposed to go with.

Not having this component, I decided to see if the tuner could be reverse engineered and powered with a compatible power supply. Looking at the circuit board reveals a place for a power supply (as though a version of this tuner was sold that could operate in standalone fashion was made) and the connector point, which is labeled as follows:

AC AC RM L E R

I'm assuming AC and AC are power input points. There is a light bulb to illuminate the display that's marked as 9.6 volts. Everything else (I think L, E and R will be the only other interesting pins for audio out) should be pretty easy to test without risking anything.

I'm going to go way out on a limb here and assume that supply voltage is roughly 9.6 volts AC. Can anyone confirm this or a pinout for this tuner? I'd really appreciate it!

William

Reply to
William R. Walsh

Sounds a fair voltage to start with... 8v-10v. check the rating of the smoothing cap, prob 16V, and if there are any 7809 or 7812 regulators, which should help you pin down the correct Dc rail voltage required.

AW

Kenwood

think

be