SONY DAV-DZ100 DVD/home cinema - audio question

I have recently repaired this dvd-amp-home cinema unit (see here for pic/info:

)

My 'problem' and i am not sure if it even is a problem!) is that I get no audio in any mode (dvd, tuner) through the SCART connector at the rear when the unit is connected to my TV . to make things worse I do not have the original remote or speakers, I have used a similar sony remote but which does not allow me to enter the setup.

before I order a new remote, if by any chance someone out there reading this has or knows this system, could they confirm that there is an audio line out on this thing?! this will help me to eliminate the possibility of a problem in the audio circuitry.

Or, any good AV forums where i could ask this question? TIA B

According to the manual for the US version, there is no audio output except to the speakers.

Kal

Reply to
Kalman Rubinson

many thanks Kal !

-B

It's common on HC systems for there to be no line level outputs, as I guess the manufacturers see no point as they have already built in a six channel amplifier that they consider is adequate for the job. A good group to ask HC related questions on is

uk.media.home-cinema

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Are there any audio connections to the socket on the PCB? Does a DMM show a conductive path?

--
Adrian C
Reply to

cheers Arfa. though i'm sure it wouldn't have hurt them to include a line on the scart pins - for convenience as much as anything! Since i don't have the speakers, I'll have to make some spkr connectors, as the ones it uses are custom ones by the look of it. a bit like a smaller version of the rectangular AC cable sockets found on 70's sanyo and sony portable audio.

-B

Hmm. I'd have to strip it down to remove the main pcb to check that properly i would suspect.in any case, the consensus seems to be that the HC stuff (and this one especially) has no line out for audio. -B

Be very VERY careful when you make these connectors. The output pins on most of these Sony HC systems are fully floating differentials. If you mistakenly short either one to the surrounding back panel metalwork, the result is usually instant death to the (expensive) output chip on that channel. I've always suspected that Sony use these 'odd' connectors in an effort to stop people connecting anything other than the intended speakers.

FWIW, I have an 'S300 here connected to the computer as an external surround system. I 'inherited' it, and like yours, it came without the speakers. I made connectors using socket 'pins' from Molex connectors, with small-bore heat-shrink sleeving over them. These connectors fit tightly over the Sony connectors' pins, and the heatshrink makes sure that there is no possibility of them shorting to the back panel.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily