Hitachi 50UX15K won't turn on

I know I am in way over my head, but with the price of HDTV dropping like a rock, I simply cannot justify spending the money to have someone else fix my Hitachi 50UX15K. So I thought I might try it myself, but I don't know exactly where to start. I do know enough about this stuff to know that I *CAN* kill myself because of the high voltage around the tubs. Thus I know to be VERY careful and not to touch anything that looks like something that could kill me, which looks like most everything bigger then a fuse;)

Here is what I know: When I turn on the power, I here the normal "click" but the LED on the front ever comes on. There was no indication that anything was going wrong, it simply stopped displaying a picture on day.

Is anyone willing to give me some suggestions on things I could look at which might be a simple fix to the TV? Are there common fuses that burn out, components that I can check visually? etc? Thanks!

Reply to
cartoper

There are a number of green LEDs in the set on the circuit board and one red one. What do they do when the set is plugged in and when the power is switched on? Which ones come on, in what order, and for how long?

Leonard

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I am using the free version of SPAMfighter for private users. It has removed 18141 spam emails to date. Paying users do not have this message in their emails. Try SPAMfighter for free now!

Reply to
Leonard Caillouet

On Sun, 24 Dec 2006 06:53:45 -0800, cartoper Has Frothed:

No offense but you're not goingto fix it on your own.

COOSN-266-06-25794
Reply to
Meat Plow

I agree !! frank

Reply to
kip

Leonard,

I looked all over and did not see any LED's of any sort. I did turn the TV on a number of times and never saw anything light up.

When viewing from the front it looks like all the high voltage components are on the left and the low voltage components are on the right. It also looks like there are two virtical circuit boards on the back left. Oh, there is also the one on the front panel to adjust the tubs and the little one behind the buttons on the front.

Where exactly should I be looking?

Reply to
cartoper

No offense taken. To tell you the truth, I don't think I can do it either, but the one thing I know, if I don't try I most definitly cannot do it;)

Reply to
cartoper

Support your Local TV Tech and call him... Because one day YOU will need him.

Reply to
kip

On Sun, 24 Dec 2006 12:10:33 -0800, cartoper Has Frothed:

Cool, I discourage everyone who has no formal training from sticking their hands in something that can generate up to 32 thousand volts. Granted the high voltage is low amperage and that I have survived many "bites" however, there are other more hefty supplys well above 110 volt house current (US) that could cause you serious injury or detah. I sure wouldn't ever offer advice to someone like you other than leave it alone.

COOSN-266-06-25794
Reply to
Meat Plow

Kip,

I would in a heart beat, if I had it, I don't. Why else do you think I am trying to save a 13-year-old TV;)

Reply to
cartoper

I had the same model with the same symptoms repaired about 9 months back for about $350. I know it seems like a lot for a 13 year old set, but it still has a great picture and my family loves it so it was worth it to me. My only advice is to find someone who has experience with the Hitachi. It is a well made set and probably worth at least getting a quote for repair.

If you do elect to dump it and are willing to pull the CRTs and boards, let me know since finding replacement parts is getting pretty tough on mine due to its age!

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman