Help...Sony KV32S20 won't turn on

I got a repairman to come check out the TV, and he said the Power Regulator Circuit and the High Voltage Circuit are gone. He said it would be $285 (Canadian) to replace them. Does this sound reasonable? Should I go for it?

--
mallik
Reply to

mallik: Who are we to argue with a tech that was actually at your home and took the back off of the television and performed testing and troubleshooting? The quoted repair price does indeed sound reasonable since it includes repairing the television in your home or pick up and delivery to and from the shop. You might want to get some references for your chosen shop. Talk to previous customers. If you are in doubt, get a second shop to give you a repair cost estimate.

--
Best Regards,
Daniel Sofie

"mallik"  wrote in message

> I got a repairman to come check out the TV, and he said the Power
> Regulator Circuit and the High Voltage Circuit are gone.  He said it
> would be $285 (Canadian) to replace them.  Does this sound reasonable?
> Should I go for it?
>

> --
> mallik
Reply to
sofie

Hello,

It's stranger that both circuits go out at the same time....

Be aware Sony is known to have bad solder...

Ask a second repairman to see if he tell you that these circuit are gone... If he tell you another thing...be aware...

Ciao

Rifo!

"mallik" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@news.diybanter.com...

Reply to
Fabri

Why? If regulation goes out on the B+ for the HOT, it'll often take the HOT out as well.

Tom

Reply to
Tom MacIntyre

Fabri: Not strange at all. As you know, both the power regulator and the high voltage circuits are interconnected with each other. If the high voltage circuitry shorts out it will then take out the power regulator circuitry that feeds it......... or if the power regulator circuitry fails it can send too much voltage to the high voltage circuitry and make it have component failures. This is "standard stuff" with all television circuitry.

-- Best Regards, Daniel Sofie Electronics Supply & Repair

gone...

Reply to
sofie

Reply to
Pippy

Pippy!! Sounds like you have Zero experience with these Sony,s

Reply to
kip

Pippy..... and your quoted price to replace would INCLUDE the home service call or transporting the television to and from the shop ???? .... and you are certain that the other components in the SMPS are OK.... and HOT, flyback, etc are OK ? Get real.

-- Best Regards, Daniel Sofie Electronics Supply & Repair

sofie

h- output shorting and blowing power supply transistors, and resistor very common issue with that TV. price sounds about right.

Reply to
darren

Yes sure...

But what I want to say, it is stranger that both circuit completely gone.. Because if High circuitry shorts there are fuse resistance or some protection on the principal alimentation that avoid the complete falling of the circuitry..

So I'm ok with you, some components on both circuits can be out of order... but i doubt that all the high voltage stage AND the Power stage are out..

This is why i think that a second estimate could be useful...

Have a nice day! "sofie" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com...

voltage

Reply to
Fabri

Reply to
pippy

You did notice that it is $285 Cdn, right? :-)

Tom

Reply to
Tom MacIntyre

I repair those sony TV's all the time. the power supply is ALWAYS blown when the h- output goes. I have also seen no protection for the power supply from the h drive circuitry

Reply to
darren

pippy: I take it from your comments that you do not work in, manage, or own a repair shop. By the time you pay for the shop overhead, vehicles & gasoline to go to and from the customer's home, wages, insurance, etc...... $285 Cdn is just about right for that type of repair that will undoubtedly involve more than just one area of the circuitry. $285 Cdn = 213 USD

-- Best Regards, Daniel Sofie Electronics Supply & Repair

moving

Reply to
sofie

your test worked...