Help please! Receiver will not turn on from Stand-by mode

I have a Marantz SR-7000 receiver that, after a recent move to a new home, will no longer turn on. When plugged in, the red Stand-by light comes on, but neither pressing the power button on the unit or trying to turn it on via the remote work. Does anybody have any ideas?

As I mentioned I moved recently, but my home theater equipment always gets moved by hand and quite delicately at that, so I don't believe anything happened in the move.

I appreceiate any input you folks may have as to what might cause this and what to try...

Thanks in advance!

Reply to
gpolitis

gpolitis: You or preferably someone technically inclined needs to open'r up and do some BASIC troubleshooting and testing. With just a multi-meter and without a schematic, the fault will probably become apparent when the proper component testing and voltage measurements are performed..... other than that, all you will get is wild guesses. You might want to go to the website for this newsgroup at

There, with some searching, you will find a wealth of helpful information.

-- Best Regards, Daniel Sofie Electronics Supply & Repair

sofie

Just a thought. Be sure the speaker load is on the amp (connected, no blown speaker fuses or tripped speaker CB's). The amp may saty in standby to protect itself.

Reply to
John J.Turley

OK - not to bring this thread back from the dead, but guess what happened?

After months of being too busy to get my receiver off to the repair shop, the day finally came to bring it in, and just for giggles I tried plugging it in once more to verify the issue still existed. Well, to make a short story shorter, the receiver now works! I had tried it a few times over the past few months with no change in behavior and now all of a sudden (and for the past week or so) it works without issue...

I'm just curious if anybody has any ideas on what might cause this behavior? I had previously checked all the fuses and they were fine, but I was resigned to having to bring it in for service. I'm hoping the 'self-repairing' of the receiver might yield a clue as to what the issue was in the first place.

As usual - thanks in advance for any input-

Reply to
gpolitis

As delicately as you moved it, there may be a loose connection maybe caused by a bad solder joint that caused the problem. Sitting around, small temperature changes within your house or even through-the-floor vibrations caused by walking by the unit may have caused a component to reconnect. Without finding the cause and repairibg it, the problem might come back when the unit is on, possibly burning out some components. Or you may be lucky and never see the trouble again!

Reply to
Jumpster Jiver