Stand by?

Lately there has been lot's of so called power saving ' tips ' by lot's of so called ' experts '. Not being full savvy on electronics what is the best to do with regard to turning off the stand by on your devices? Surely there is a reason for the facility. Many manufactures require that the stand by be left on. Various reasons being, for updates, faster start up etc. keep correct time. What is the best thing to do in the NG's view

TIA

Reply to
Metro

Turn it off at the swith. Only way.

Reply to
terryc

called ' experts '. Not being full savvy

on your devices?

I see many on line shops are selling a patch block with a foot switch on it. It is a big large round button type switch, and even has a big red footprint on it.

Asked around the usual JB and DSE haunts, but they never heard of it.

I have 37 million LEDs just on my computer gear. Feel it is about time I did something.

Cheers Don...

=======================

--
Don McKenzie

Dontronics Blog:     http://www.GodzillaSeaMonkey.com
Dontronics Site Map: http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap
Web Camera Page:     http://www.dontronics.com/webcam
No More Damn Spam:   http://www.dontronics.com/spam

New MMBasic Computer http://www.TheMaximiteComputer.com

These products will reduce in price by 5% every month:
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/minus-5-every-month.html
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/ics.html

Bare Proto PCB for PIC or AVR projects?
"I'd buy that for a Dollar!".
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/simmstick-fifteen-years-on.html
Reply to
Don McKenzie

so called ' experts '. Not being full savvy

by on your devices?

is a big large round button type switch,

The Bendigo Bank might give you one if you enter their competition before 30 June .

Reply to
David Segall

so called ' experts '. Not being full savvy

by on your devices?

It is a big large round button type switch,

yep, that's the one.

Except they were about $29 on line. still do you want a free $50 one or a free $29 one? Perhaps you get a choice.

Cheers Don...

==============================

--
Don McKenzie

Dontronics Blog:     http://www.GodzillaSeaMonkey.com
Dontronics Site Map: http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap
Web Camera Page:     http://www.dontronics.com/webcam
No More Damn Spam:   http://www.dontronics.com/spam

New MMBasic Computer http://www.TheMaximiteComputer.com

These products will reduce in price by 5% every month:
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/minus-5-every-month.html
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/ics.html

Bare Proto PCB for PIC or AVR projects?
"I'd buy that for a Dollar!".
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/simmstick-fifteen-years-on.html
Reply to
Don McKenzie

Which swith? On the device or the GPO?

Reply to
Metro

Which swith for ipswith mith?

Reply to
F Murtz

Some (mostly old) appliances draw one or more watts in standby while newer ones can go down to 0.1W or less. I believe the choice should be based on what do you have around, how much does it draw in standby and what's the on/off use ratio to see if keeping it disconnected will turn out in a tangible energy saving.

Also convincing every IT boss in the planet to ditch Java or .NET and going back to building software using efficient programming languages/ environments would save a two figures percentage of processing power in every data center, in other words lots of energy, but don't ever think having success on this one.

Reply to
asdf