Component to HDMI converters

I have an old customer who has a 32" Panasonic CRT HD TV he wants to keep.
 He bought a Roku and discovered the TV doesn't have an HDMI input.  I told
 him to pick up an Component to HDMI converter from Amazon and an HDMI and
component cable.  He called and said he couldn't get it to work, so I took
the ride to his town and brought component cables, HDMI cables, and a blu r
ay player.

Sure enough, there's no picture.  When I plug my Blu Ray into the TV via co
mponent jacks, it has picture and sound so the component jacks are working
as is the HD section of the TV.  When I tried connecting the blu ray player
 through the HDMI adapter, it had sound but no picture, so neither the blu
ray nor Roku was working through the adapter.  I thought the adapter was ba
d but took it back to my shop to try and was surprised to find it works on
a newer Samsung.

Is it possible the older Panasonic could get a blu ray HD through the compo
nent jacks but not work with an HDMI to component adapter?

Re: Component to HDMI converters

Is it possible  the component to HDMI converter have a max resolution
that the player is exceeding?

Re: Component to HDMI converters

If the TV has no HDMI input a component to HDMI converter is exactly the
opposite of what could be expected to work.

Re: Component to HDMI converters

Well, yeah.. an HDMI to component converter was what I was inaccurately des
cribing.  Fox got me good, but he did it by email... He's now out of my wil
l but I don't think that's actually a punishment at all.  I think I'll send
 him some nudes of Rosie O'Donnell..

Re: Component to HDMI converters
escribing.  Fox got me good, but he did it by email... He's now out of my w
ill but I don't think that's actually a punishment at all.  I think I'll se
nd him some nudes of Rosie O'Donnell..

   Did you just admit to owing WMD?

Re: Component to HDMI converters
the
 describing.  Fox got me good, but he did it by email... He's now out of my
 will but I don't think that's actually a punishment at all.  I think I'll
send him some nudes of Rosie O'Donnell..

Well, the destruction would only be considered "mass" in the way it's deplo
yed, no?  If I send them to Jeff, it's a direct (and particularly nasty) as
sault certainly, but I think I'm OK as far as WMD go.

Re: Component to HDMI converters
y the
ly describing.  Fox got me good, but he did it by email... He's now out of
my will but I don't think that's actually a punishment at all.  I think I'l
l send him some nudes of Rosie O'Donnell..
loyed, no?  If I send them to Jeff, it's a direct (and particularly nasty)
assault certainly, but I think I'm OK as far as WMD go.

   Did you stop to think that Jeff might actually enjoy them?

Re: Component to HDMI converters
tly the
tely describing.  Fox got me good, but he did it by email... He's now out o
f my will but I don't think that's actually a punishment at all.  I think I
'll send him some nudes of Rosie O'Donnell..
eployed, no?  If I send them to Jeff, it's a direct (and particularly nasty
) assault certainly, but I think I'm OK as far as WMD go.

Crap.  I did not consider that possibility but clearly I should. You're a s
poilsport Michael.

Re: Component to HDMI converters
:
zon
actly the
rately describing.  Fox got me good, but he did it by email... He's now out
 of my will but I don't think that's actually a punishment at all.  I think
 I'll send him some nudes of Rosie O'Donnell..
 deployed, no?  If I send them to Jeff, it's a direct (and particularly nas
ty) assault certainly, but I think I'm OK as far as WMD go.
 spoilsport Michael.

   Do you really want him bugging you for more photos?

Re: Component to HDMI converters
te:
mazon
exactly the
curately describing.  Fox got me good, but he did it by email... He's now o
ut of my will but I don't think that's actually a punishment at all.  I thi
nk I'll send him some nudes of Rosie O'Donnell..
's deployed, no?  If I send them to Jeff, it's a direct (and particularly n
asty) assault certainly, but I think I'm OK as far as WMD go.
 a spoilsport Michael.

LOL!!

Re: Component to HDMI converters

What about HDCP getting in the way?

I think when a output device (the player or Roku) is hooked up to a monitor,
there is a bunch of handshaking going on via the HDMI port between the two.

If the HDCP isn't satisfied the display is compliant, the video blanks on
the device.

The component is analog, so either doesn't care.

I know that there is a "black box" fix, rather than a cable, there is a box
that mimics the HDCP handshaking with the HDMI. Usually has some dip
switches to set for the monitors max resolution.

I haven't seen one in 5 or 6 years but I'd guess amazon or ebay may be your
freind. Sort of a fringe product.

Personally I'd give the guy a clue stick and just replace the set. A 32"
flat screen is $100 or less these days.

-bruce
snipped-for-privacy@ripco.com

Re: Component to HDMI converters
or,
o.

But that's why it's weird.  My blu ray DVD plays HD through his Panasonic's
 component jacks directly.  I would think the problem would have been betwe
en the HDMI source (either the blu ray or Roku device) and the adapter, exc
ept that the same blu ray player worked with the same HDMI to component ada
pter on a bit newer TV back at my shop.

ox
ur

That's true, but a 32" 4:3 is much larger than a 32" 16:9, but he has sever
al flats in his house elsewhere that have given him a lot more trouble than
 his Panasonic CRT, which has never had a single problem and, well, he like
s it.  I also think it cost something like $1800 when he bought it.  Older
people don't like disposable.

In addition, a $100 32" TV has a lifespan measured in hundreds of hours.

I'm going to try a different brand of HDMI to component adapter and see if
it works for him.

Thanks.

Re: Component to HDMI converters
Might there be a simpler answer?

don't most DVD players have an HDMI input somewhere and component output?

If you could find one like that, you'd probably be out less money than buying the converter, and you'd have the advantage of being able to play videos through your CRT.

Or, is there a chance that a Firestick would work where a Roku doesn't?

Re: Component to HDMI converters
ying the converter, and you'd have the advantage of being able to play vide
os through your CRT.

The adapter was like $25 from Amazon from what he told me. And I don't know
 of any DVD players that have an HDMI input.

Possibly.  I have two Firesticks - when I go back with another adapter, I'l
l bring a Firestick to try.  Still, the blu ray connected fine to the TV vi
a the components inputs, but the blu ray also refused to work with the adap
ter through the HDMI in the same way as the Roku. Makes no sense.  I'll pic
k up different adapter than he has and try it.

Re: Component to HDMI converters
t?
buying the converter, and you'd have the advantage of being able to play vi
deos through your CRT.
ow of any DVD players that have an HDMI input.
'll bring a Firestick to try.  Still, the blu ray connected fine to the TV
via the components inputs, but the blu ray also refused to work with the ad
apter through the HDMI in the same way as the Roku. Makes no sense.  I'll p
ick up different adapter than he has and try it.

I would expect that the Bluray should work since the HDMI in this case is j
ust an output.  I would NOT expect the Roku to work since this requires the
  conversation to work and the adapter won't allow for that.  If the Panaso
nic Bluray still fails, it may be from the first generation that IRRC requi
red HDMI-HDMI connections only.

Re: Component to HDMI converters
ow of any DVD players that have an HDMI input.

Maybe a small TV or computer monitor?  Some have HDMI in and components out
, I think.  My cable box has a choice of HDMI or components out.  I'm not s
ure what inputs.  When I replaced our CRT with a flat screen I used the com
ponent cables as they were already in place.  Later I discovered the slight
ly fuzzy picture was due to resolution mismatch and went to HDMI, the pictu
re is much better now.

We were given a Fire Stick and it works better than our old Roku, but neith
er gets used much.  -

Re: Component to HDMI converters
.  He bought a Roku and discovered the TV doesn't have an HDMI input.  I to
ld him to pick up an Component to HDMI converter from Amazon and an HDMI an
d component cable.  He called and said he couldn't get it to work, so I too
k the ride to his town and brought component cables, HDMI cables, and a blu
 ray player.
component jacks, it has picture and sound so the component jacks are workin
g as is the HD section of the TV.  When I tried connecting the blu ray play
er through the HDMI adapter, it had sound but no picture, so neither the bl
u ray nor Roku was working through the adapter.  I thought the adapter was
bad but took it back to my shop to try and was surprised to find it works o
n a newer Samsung.
ponent jacks but not work with an HDMI to component adapter?

I use a Roku Express with a sevenn inch HDMI security monitor. They talk to
 each other, and they didn't work the first try. I had to have the LCD moni
tor on first, to get them to communicate. After that it has worked OK. If t
he monitor gets turned off, it will display a 'Do you want to continue watc
hing ????' when it is turned back on. The Roku also has a menu setting to t
urn off a display or TV. This is the low end version, and I use it in my be
droom, next to my computer. It was bought at Best Buy about six months ago
for $30. It only has a USB port for power, and a HDMI port. The OEM power s
upply is crap. It is too close to the actual current draw of the Roku, so I
 power it from my main computer. So far, it has worked well. It is on 24/7
to help mask my Tinnitus.

Re: Component to HDMI converters
You can search on EBay for 1st or 2nd generation Roku boxes; they have
analog outputs

[...]
Thanks, that's a good idea.  I ordered a different brand HDMI adapter which
 should be in Saturday.  If that doesn't work, I'm done. He'll either have
to do without or replace the TV. The guy is like 40 minutes each way away f
rom me.  Not to mention I spent about two hours with him when he was asking
 about Rokus, terrestrial antennas, etc. to get away from cable. No matter
what happens, this was a loss.  I've done other stuff for him so I don't mi
nd giving him the time, but I'll give it one more shot with the new HDMI ad
apter.

If that doesn't work, I'll give him your info and see if he wants to try th
at (by himself!)

Re: Component to HDMI converters

Those aren't supported anymore and don't get software updates.

Most of the apps already on them don't run these days either.

-bruce
snipped-for-privacy@ripco.com

Site Timeline