Benchtop Surface--Natural Fiber or Anti-Static Mat?

Home workshop where I plan on working on stereo equipment, primarily. Will a natural fiber runner (carpet) work well for me as a benchtop surface or are the anti-static mats a must? If so, are there any DIY or cheaper alternatives to the expensive kind the electronic supply stores sell?

Reply to
rubenz1967

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com hath wroth:

I don't think it matters much. Most synthetic fiber rugs already include some form of anti-static protection (imbedded carbon fibers or dust). If you search Google for "anti-static rug", you'll find plenty of examples. I've been using random carpet samples for years and don't recall every blowing anything up with one.

At one time, the topic came up at work. So I borrowed an electrostatic volts guesser, and did some measuring at work. What I found was:

  1. The only rugs that showed a problem was the Persian wool rug in my office. Also removing the wool fishermans hat I often wore was good for a zap. Oops.
  2. Grounding the chair had the biggest effect on reducing static buildup as it gives the tech a place to discharge. Plastic seat cushions are a bad idea.
  3. Putting one hand on an oscilloscope screen and the other on the circuit board generated more static electricity than I consider acceptable.
  4. Managers and salesmen in polyester clothes and boating shoes are guaranteed to blow something up.
  5. Clean formica table tops can hold quite a static charge. Filthy formica does not. I used this as an official excuse to not clean up my mess for many years. Grounding the aluminum strip at the edge of the table did wonders for discharging the table top.
  6. One of the other engineers decided that the table top carpet patch needed a place for the static electricity to discharge. So, he glued some aluminum foil to the bottom of the carpet and grounded the foil. I never did figure out if this worked as I had to return to doing something productive. I'm undecided if this arrangement is a discharge path or part of a capacitor.
  7. Some people simply generate more static electricity than others. I generate very little. However, I know others that can blow up sensitive circuitry without much effort. I have no clue how this works.

Incidentally, if you're paranoid about static electricity, or just cheap like me, you can make your own anti-static spray with:

If the fabric softener doesn't remove the static, the ammonia will empty the room of all the complainers.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Thanks Jeff, I was leaning towards a carpet top, seems more practical and comfortable to work on. The spray is a good idea, the bench is in the basement with somewhat higher humidity anyway.

Reply to
rubenz1967

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com hath wroth:

Well, there are a few problems I've found with carpeting.

  1. Carpet needs to be fed. SMT parts seems to be its favorite food. The carpet can be made to regurgitate the tiny parts at a later date, but only after you've purchased replacement parts.
  2. Laptops and carpets are mutually incompatible. Many laptops (i.e. HP, Toshibah, Compaq, etc) have fan air intakes on the bottom of the laptop. When placed on the carpeting, the air intake is obstructed resulting in overtemp shutdown, meltdown, or both.
  3. Carpet smells really bad after I leave my soldering iron sitting on it.
  4. When standing on the workbench to change a florescent light above, the carpet tends to slip and slide on the formica top.
  5. Carpet makes a terrible mouse pad.
  6. The cat likes to watch what I'm doing in the shop. The carpet patch is the most comfortable place to sit. I now have two carpet remnant pieces on the workbench.
--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote: : Home workshop where I plan on working on stereo equipment, primarily. : Will a natural fiber runner (carpet) work well for me as a benchtop : surface or are the anti-static mats a must? If so, are there any DIY : or cheaper alternatives to the expensive kind the electronic supply : stores sell?

I'd opt for wood. Particle board. Solder and carpets don't mix. If you need something soft, put an antistatic mat on the wood.

In the shops I worked in, we either used wood and it seemed to work well. There is also no static risk with it. If one accidentally hits it with a soldering iron, it's a bit more forgiving and doesn't act as a "clipped lead magnet".

b.

Reply to
<barry

Wood is cool. I have been using MCM anti-static mats I bought 20 years ago, and probably don't sell the same material. Non burning type of rubber or vinyl, and to top it off, has a slight curl which holds parts inside the mat.

greg

Reply to
GregS

Proper terminology, anti-static work mat.

I see some floor mats you can cut up for special sizes.

greg

Reply to
GregS