Geocities still up

...or it reflects the usual corporate incompetence that we see more and more often where a schedule is laid out and not met.

Reply to
JeffM

I can still see all of my stuff there as of the time of posting this message. So am I only seeing a ghostly echo, a cached chimera? Seems to me that the domain is still active, so their servers are still serving. Maybe this is like demolishing a large building that takes a long time?

David Nebenzahl

On 10/27/2009 9:52 AM JeffM spake thus:

... or maybe not.

After doing a Google search in the form

site:geocities.com electronics

and seeing that almost all of the sites returned got redirected to new (non-Geocities) sites, maybe Yahoo! is actually doing this shutdown in an orderly, staged way, allowing the old Geocities URLs to be redirected to new ones. So my guess is that this will persist for, say, a month or so, at which time they'll actually shut down their servers.

David Nebenzahl