RCA DTV30X=Edsel

They are. I got 30 years under my belt and I have paid my dues. I am fully qualified to say that the RCA DTV300 series is junk, not necessarily scrap, to be that, the parts would have to fit something useful, like a screendoor on a submarine, or perhaps a front porch on a Moskit 2 (Sunburn) missile. At the very least, high performance lugnuts for your microwave oven. Ain't even worth a shuck for that !

And Jerry, I respect your opinion, but I don't need six F_______ years of school to find out how to scrap this junk which had a product life cycle of less than two years.I don't need the training manual for the set, I need instructions on how best to destroy it, e.g. an AK47 manual.

I thought I had it just about there, OK ABL isn't making it to the video and it's shutting down OK. But then it decides there is a yet more better way to F___ up ! Now it wants to shutdown when switching scan modes. I have had it.

I dunno what kind of drug the engineers were on when they concieved this rat's nest, but regular folk like us should be able to get such rapture. Yes they were exceedingly brilliant, but they were about as sharp as a bowling ball.

Yup, I could imagine toolin on down the road in an old Edsel, probably rode good. Got about 10 more local channels using a regular antenna, yup it was really cool while it lasted. Literally sheer minutes of enjoyment are possible with technological marvels. Actually what is marvelous is that any of them ran long enough to get sold.

They do have one good point, they are becoming collectors items. I hope they become so rare that they are worth millions each, then we can charge for a proper burial and funeral. If extraordinary lifesaving measures are indicated, we need to see your insurance card, then we will put three neurosurgeons on it post haste. And no, you are NOT allowed to keep the remote as a memento.

Even Pioneers aren't anywhere near this bad, DAMN ! Even worse than that, I'd rather work on a Zenith !

Rant over.

I dunno about you, but as one who fixes things I recommend, when asked, to not buy things that are built into other things. They built a $59 DVD player into a $4,000 home theater TV ! Why ? We had good discussions joking around about things built into other things, like the microwave hair dryer, then you could eat breakfast at the same time. Next it'll be combination airconditioners with bidets. And it costs more than the TV to install it.

Of course there'll be no popcorn if the bigscreen breaks down because it's built in, and the cellphones connect through the Playstation. Your wireless 802.11 home network came with the garage door opener for some strange reason and the "other" remote never works. to fix it you must go three days without internet or email. So you park in the drive, she gets the remote that works. That's OK I got the BIG one for the TV. She can't change my advanced aperature settings at all ! SO THERE !

So her Sears bill comes. I play like I think it's mine, I open it. Sure enough a charge for $969. I know what that is. I check the billing through the PC and find item number 14123. Now I know the plasma cutter is coming to me he he he. Sorry honey I thought it was mine. No sweat.

Y'know I live in a neigborhood where people don't bring over stupid things they bought to show you, it's usually tools or guns. Tim Taylor would love it here. Tough shit though, I ain't moving.

But I don't care, Cause it's Chistmas time, Don't care who you are, Hope you feel fine,

The designers of the DTV series need to see God in person, the sooner the better, the rest of you have a very very good one. Even the designers have a good one, we'll see you in Nurenburg or something.

My attitude on these is SOS, Scrap On Sight. I just want to know if the parts actuallly do fit anyhting else. I bet the CRTs do. If you have one of these that runs unplug it immediately, in a matter of weeks it could be the only one running on the planet. With gun control, there will probably be parts available.

I urge technicians not to commit arson to ensure the destruction of these units. I assure you they will self destruct, and that will be cause for us to rejoice. No action is needed on our part.

JURB

Reply to
ZZactly

What??!? Is this for real of is someone just posting crazy stuff.

If it is real I would have thrown this thing away a long time ago if he is still messing with it from his original post on Feb 10 2004 ..

Reply to
Michael Kennedy

Great rant, Jeff. I'm sure you feel better!!

Anyway, although I have to nitpick one of your examples, the Edsel was a bomb for different reasons.

It wasn't so much a lemon as it was simply the wrong car at the wrong time. This high end brand launched during a recesssion, when dollars for premium automobiles was scarce. The styling was another problem. I don't know anyone (including current Edsel owners) who think the car is attractive in the least. Mechanically, it was an average car. Although it has a reputation as a lemon, it was no less reliable than any other car, nor more difficult to repair. It was overweight, and it used much of the suspension and brakes of the other Fords, which made for substandard braking and handling.

An average car with sub standard performance, controversial looks, that was way too expensive. Definitely a recipe for disaster. And no, I don't own one!

John

Reply to
John-Del