Fluke 79 acting up

This thing has performed flawlessly for many years, but when I turned it on today something was not right. The ohms range flickers random readings, with no probes plugged in I get around 230K on the display, or 2.22M, depending on the range, which would imply that the problem is ahead of the scaling circuit. When I switch to the low ohms range, the reading starts around 240 ohms and then drops to -0.00 over a period of 10 seconds or so, frequency reading works, but AC volts reads 70mV when plugged into a 120V outlet. Something strange is going on! I realized that I don't currently have a backup meter, I suppose I could use this as an excuse to buy a true RMS Fluke, I don't think I can bring myself to buy a cheapie, except perhaps as a backup. Anyone run into this?

Reply to
James Sweet

Sorry, it's a 77, not a 79.

Reply to
James Sweet

did you check the fuse in it?

--
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"

"Daily Thought:

  SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT
  THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5"
Reply to
Jamie

on

with

240

as

I invested in a moulded rubber surround for my 77, after repairing one that had been jarred and the main SMD chip had loosened. Someone I know managed to put his knee on his, while working on the floor, and also dislodge the main chip. Both repaired after attending to the main chip.

N Cook

This might seem stupid, but have you checked the battery? Is the "lo bat" annunciator displayed?

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

I have the rubber surround, and it hasn't been jarred, it was sitting in the closet where I always keep it.

I ordered a Fluke 187, I've wanted true RMS for a while anyway. When that gets here I'll use it to try to fix the 77 and use that as a backup.

Reply to
James Sweet

It's not displayed, but then I suppose it's worth checking the battery anyway, I haven't, will do that tonight.

Reply to
James Sweet

You should check its battery, that's where your problem is. Electronic meters utilize A/D converter, the converter uses Voltage reference, when battery is weak it give faulty voltage reference, as a result you get faulty reading. Do not rely on voltage reading, sufficient voltages do not mean sufficient Battery without enough current in battery.

Reply to
Jakthehammer

Sorry if I confuse you, let me try again:

You should check its battery, that's where your problem is. Electronic meters utilize A/D converter. The A/D converter uses bat as Voltage reference, when battery is weak it gives faulty reference, as a result you get faulty reading. Change the battery with fully charge.

Reply to
Jakthehammer

Actually, a semiconductor device similar to a Zener diode is used as the voltage reference. But the battery has to be at or above the device's threshold to provide a stable reference.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

I put a brand new battery in it, the symptoms are unchanged.

Reply to
James Sweet

Do you have a 77 or was the 79 a typo?

Reply to
Meat Plow

The 79 was a typo, I have a 77, and I ordered an 87, I'm full of typos lately. I really liked the 77, aside from its lack of true RMS, it did everything I ever asked it to, I hope the 87 lives up to what I've come to expect.

Reply to
James Sweet

I have an old 77. Serial number 4333xxxxxx. Still works like a charm. Zeros out on any setting. Wouldn't mind having an 87 and keeping the 77 for a backup. Where did you find the best price?

Reply to
Meat Plow

I've found my 77 will work even with a very dead battery. Dead meaning by the old taste test. Probably 6 volts or so.

Reply to
Meat Plow

Is the fuse intact?

--
                              God help us all,
          The next President of the United States will be a liberal.

I assume so, I didn't do anything that would blow it, but other times the fuse has blown it has not exhibited any unusual behavior. I know what I'm doing, I tried all the simple stuff, something has failed.

Reply to
James Sweet

Ebay, they tend to go for about $160 used and in good shape, closer to $300 new. There's several different models of 87, make sure you know which one you're getting.

Reply to
James Sweet

Correctly, the zener (or an IC reference circuit) are part of the A/D circuit. You cannot design a complete A/D without Voltage Referencing.

Jack....

Reply to
Jakthehammer

it

scaling

frequency

perhaps

If the fuse is blown you get a consistent reading of about 1 per cent of the true reading.

N Cook