What is this darn' thing?

=_NextPart_000_01C6_01CA8EE1.480874E0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Some time over the Christmas holidays I seem to have acquired a device = that I can't identify. It comprises (description from observation and = reasonable(!) assumptions) a cable of small diameter (4mm?) most of = which is protected by an "armoured" sheath (a sort of tube that looks = like a very long coil spring of small diameter) for most of its length, = and a clear plastic sheath for the remainder. Inside the clear part, = there appears to be a cable that could be a twisted pair in its own = sheath. On one end - the 'clear plastic sheath' end - is a plastic = moulded "plug" (with location grooves and ridges to assure correct = orientation upon insertion) that has the edge of a circuit board with 6 = (or probably 12 'cos it's double sided) gold plated connectors sticking = out one end. This 'plug' is about 25 mm wide (with the edge connectors = about 17mm wide). On the other end (where the "coil spring" protective = outer sleeve goes right to the end) it terminates in what could easily = be a "magnetic pickup". Imagine a small (6mm) diameter white plastic = "plug" having a silver-coloured metal bar embedded in it. The "handle" = (i.e. the part that would still be visible when the rest of the = connector is inserted in the equipment) of the OTHER end (the end with = the 'edge connector) bears a logo comprising a circle with I2S printed = inside it. Google suggests I2S is some kind of interconnection for = digital audio, but I can't find any description that includes a picture. = It could easily have been supplied with one of the grandchildrens' = toys, but none of them has claimed it. I want to throw it away so as = not to add to the clutter in the "junk" cupboard that's already = overflowing, but I have an uncomfortable feeling that if I do, I will = discover shortly after that I should have kept it! I'm sorry this mail = is so long, but please can somebody identify this thing for me and help = me decide whether it should be kept? Happy New Year!

Mike.

Reply to
Mike Faithfull