Fluke 77

Ack!

My trusty Fluke-77 voltmeter is falling apart.

Today, I noticed the 10-amp fuse is blown (again! - this seems to happen quite regularly even though I ALWAYS treat it right. It's one of those inexplicable things in nature, I guess.?) Or I have elves in the toolbox at night...

I discovered today that the continuity "beeper" doesn't work unless you have all the back panel case screws tight. (That might be normal?)

But more troubling, the selector knob now rotates counter-clockwise past the "OFF" position. WTF? When did that start?

I replaced the battery and fuse (other fuse was OK). Meter still works fine - but I did browse Fluke.com to see what they were offering these days, just for kicks. Note: Did not care for the updated look of the 77. Quite ugly, in fact.

Which I suppose is good for the wallet. Had the probes been damaged (cut, worn, etc..) then maybe I could justify it..

I guess I just wish things would quit falling apart. (50 year old engineers included. Ha!!)

-mpm

Reply to
mpm

I have a 73 series II or something like that, a $20 hamfest special from probably $20 years ago.

The knobs is starting to fall apart, and the things to keep the knob from doing a 360 broke off long ago. I think the hold feature died, but I never use that.

I did get a new Fluke meter, whatever the "standard" one is these days. It has some sort of moisture sensitivity problem and is only about twice as large as the old meter, which is annoying. It's nice and all, but the old one is still better sized. The old one fit with leads and some tools in one of those canvas electrician's pouches. New meter has it's own bag now.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

The correct expletive is "urk".

Duct tape may help.

I really takes some effort to blow the 10 A fuse. Are you perhaps applying voltage to the meter leads when the meter is set to the current ranges?

Most people don't carry DVM's with loose screws. However, the explanation is easy enough. The piezo beeper is sandwiched between the rear cover and the bottom of the PCB. The connections are loose, dirty, corroded, etc. Tear it apart and clean everything. Note that there is a retainer screw UNDER the 10 amp fuse. While you're at it, some contact cleaner on the switch might be useful.

That's normal. The little plastic pin that limits over rotation breaks easily.

Yeah, it's the connection to the piezo beeper.

Entropy always wins.

Incidentally, I have a Fluke 75.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

I forgot to mumble that the contacts to the piezo disk are two black elastometric "bumps" on the plastic retainer clip. These connect to traces on the bottom of the PCB.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

Chosing the right fuse for your tester:

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

I will take that under advisement. Thanks!!

Mine has the Fluke hard rubber solid surround case, so the case screws are hidden somewhat. Only one was loose, but it was enough to cause intermitte nt operation of the piezo.

I replaced the 10-Amp fuse (a Littlefuse KLK-10A, which is what was in it). Works fine. Maybe I am blowing the fuse and don't realize it. But I tho ught that fuse was out of the circuit if the red probe were not in the 10A hole? And I mostly use the meter for volts & ohms. Personally, I think gr emlins are afoot here... Luckily, I found a stash of 10Amp fuses, so I gue ss I'm good to go.

I think maybe when we hire our next field engineer, I'll "let" him/her inhe rit this "77" and I'll go get me a new one. One of the perks of owning you r own company. (Of course, I'll never actually get around to that..)

Reply to
mpm

My Fluke 75 has four positions to the left of OFF. They do something, not sure what.

The only way to blow a 10 amp fuse is by applying more than 10 amps.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

When my old Citroen shifted into 5 (it only had four gears ...) the shift stick sailed into the passenger area. It had corroded itself off.

Or if the fuse contacts are loose/corroded/gunked/crudded, the fuse gets hotter than normal and ... phut.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

  • Looks like image was computer generated,say with EAGLE.

  • Hard to tell, may be a real image.

Reply to
Robert Baer

If you check the EXIF info, you'll find that it's probably a real photograph that was very nicely cleaned up with Photoshop CS4. That's probably why it looks better than real. Of course, the EXIF data can be faked, but I doubt anyone would bother with a photo of a DVM.

Filename - httpverysoft.free.frMY_PHOTOSDIY_ALIM_FLUKE77FORMAT_INTERNETDSCN0141_FLUKE77_PCB_1.jpg ImageDescription - Make - NIKON Model - COOLPIX S520 Orientation - Top left XResolution - 300.00 YResolution - 300.00 ResolutionUnit - Inch Software - Adobe Photoshop CS4 Windows DateTime - 2010:04:27 12:41:11 (etc...)