Flickering Colored Snow On Plasma TV

I have an LG Plasma TV and for the past four months I have had a problem with colored "snow" flickering over the picture on my TV.

Here are a couple pictures I managed to take of the problem:

I don't think it's cord related because it happens when I am watching cable via component cables and a DVD through HDMI.

Any ideas on what could be wrong if it is the unit itself? I just passed the one year mark with the TV last month and like I've said this has been happening for quite some time, so I'm hoping something didn't fail on me already.

Reply to
masterchief34

I also should add that this is not something that happens all the while the TV is on. It comes and goes. Also, if I shut the TV off for a decent amount of time (20 minutes or so) and then put it back on the snow is gone.

Reply to
masterchief34

Looks like aging panel problems we've seen in my shop.

Mark Z.

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
Mark D. Zacharias

if it comes and goes, could it be a dry joint problem ?

Reply to
Dave

Likely a problem with HDCP compatibility. Try hooking up via component and if it clears up this is the problem. Could be a bad HDMI receiver IC or something screwy in the communication between devices. You can also try cycling inputs on the set.

Leonard

Reply to
Leonard Caillouet

I was just in a store that had a bunch of LG plasma displays playing ads. I saw one or two with the same colored snow problem, so it has to be a problem with the set. If it's still under warranty, you should get it looked at as soon as possible. Andy Cuffe

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com

Reply to
Andy Cuffe

How old is the set? This looks very much like an aging issue. As the panel gets older it gets more difficult to reset each individual cell in the panel. Thus sometimes the sustain voltage, x and y drive voltages may be out of range for the panel, and have to be reset. You can adjust it out temporarily by tweaking the vSus and X/Y drive voltage, but if the panel's 5 or so years old and has been used heavily, it's probably just EOL.

Jammy

Reply to
ampdoc

Sounds like an internal fault in the TV, you should have had it looked at when the problem first occurred and it was under warranty rather than continuing to use it.

Reply to
James Sweet

I just passed the one year mark last month. I was just looking through the manual and I see the warranty is two years, fortunately, so I may need to call and get it serviced.

Reply to
masterchief34