Re: Connecting Headphones in Parallel With a Speaker

I would like to connect some headphones in parallel with

> a single speaker. The amplifier powering the speaker is a > 110-W, Sony STR-DE997 A/V, surround-sound receiver.

Interestingly enough, this receiver has a headphone jack.

The speaker has an 8-ohm impedance. The headphones are > Sennheiser model HD 580 (open air) with a nominal > impedance of 300 ohms and a "load rating" of 200 mW.

I own a pair - fine product.

I'm sort of guessing/figuring that a 3K-ohm resistor in > series with the headphones ought to work.

The nominal impedance of the HD 580 s are about 300 ohms, but their impedance curve wanders around a bit, maybe within a 2:1 range over the audio band.

The 3K ohm > resistor in parallel with the 8-ohm speaker would yield a > net resistance of about 7.9 ohms to the amplifier. And if > power divides the same way current does, that should > provide a maximum of about 300 mW to the headphone. There > would only be a signal to one side of the headphone, of > course. I would also put a headphone volume control in > the cord. > As anyone ever done anything like this before?

All the time. Since the early days of headphones, series resistors have been used to reduce power amp output to a range that is suitable for headphones. The traditional series resistor has been about 100 ohms for phones in the 8-16 ohm range.

Does anyone know of any reason it wouldn't work?

Depends what you call "work". ;-)

The usual problem with a series resistance is that it often provides a high source impedance to the headphone. 3K is very high.

If the headphone's impedance curve varies signficantly, the combination of the series resistor and the impedance of the headphone makes up a fixed-adjusted equalizer. It changes the frequency response of the transfer characteristic from the amp output to the listener's ear. It might make the headphones sound boomy, tinny, dull, excessively bright or just plain weird.

It will work.

There are two common approaches to this problem. One is to use a headphone amplifier that provides a lower source impedance, and can bypass the power amp completely. The other is to change the design of the headphone attenuator for the power amp into a different sort of network that provides a lower source impedance.

Just a rough cut at a different sort of network. Roughly speaking, a 3 K ohm resistor in series with a 300 ohm resistor gives about 21 dB attenuation. You can also get about that much attenuation using a 300 ohm resistor in series with a 30 ohm resistor. Neither network will appreciably load down a good power amp. The second network will provide a 100+ times lower source impedance, one that is in the same range as is commonly provided by headphone amplifiers.

Reply to
Arny Krueger

Your comments prompted me to do a search on Google and I found something called the "ART HeadTap Headphone Tap" (#180628). It has 4 connections as follows:

  1. Amplifier Parallel In.
  2. Amplifier Parallel Out.
  3. Headphone Out.
  4. Headphone Out.

In addition, it has a stereo/mono switch and a know for adjusting the sound level. It looks like it actually allows for the connection of 2 headphones, but, of course, I will only connect one. There's a PDF schematic that shows two resistors in series going to the headphones. I guessing that might be similar to what you mention below.

Does that appear to be something that would allow me to tap into a speaker cable and insert some headphones?

Reply to
mg