Re: Connecting Headphones in Parallel With a Speaker

On both the left and right side feed, put a 160 ohm / 1 Watt resistor. The ground is common. This is standard.

If you connect your headphones directly across the amplifier output, you will damage them.

--

JANA _____

I'm sort of guessing/figuring that a 3K-ohm resistor in series with the headphones ought to work. The 3K ohm resistor in parallel with the

8-ohm speaker would yield a net resistance of about 7.9 ohms to the amplifier. And if power divides the same way current does, that should provide a maximum of about 300 mW to the headphone. There would only be a signal to one side of the headphone, of course. I would also put a headphone volume control in the cord.

As anyone ever done anything like this before? Does anyone know of any reason it wouldn't work?

The reason I want to do this, incidentally, is to try to clear up a problem that I have with hearing dialog in TV movies, etc. The headphone would be connected to the center speaker of my surround sound system. The center speaker typically carries the speech part of the audio, while the other speakers carry mostly the sound effects. The fact that I would only get sound in one ear probably wouldn't matter at all since one of my ears is really, really bad and the other one is only sort of bad.

Reply to
JANA