Fan Wattage

Does anyone have a guess as to what kind of power a fan like this draws, on low speed?

Reply to
Buck Turgidson

Oops, forgot the URL.

Buck Turgidson

The product manual is on Amazon and says 120 volts, 0.52 amp (i.e., about 63 watts).

Presumably, that is for high speed. As a rough guess, the lowest speed might be 1/4 of that.

Reply to
mc

39 watts

-- #1 Offishul Ruiner of Usenet, March 2007 #1 Usenet Asshole, March 2007 #1 Bartlo Pset, March 13-24 2007 #10 Most hated Usenetizen of all time #8 AUK Hate Machine Cog Pierre Salinger Memorial Hook, Line & Sinker, June 2004 COOSN-266-06-25794

Reply to
Meat Plow

I am very ignorant about electricity. Volts x Amps = Watts? Very good to know.

Reply to
Buck Turgidson

What bloody fan ?

The one up your ass ?

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

That's 63 VA

NOT WATTS !

Jeez, talk about beginner's mistakes.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Except it's wrong for AC

V x A = VA

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Were you breast-fed as a child?

Reply to
Buck Turgidson

Yes, by his dad. Isn't it obvious? He bounces around all the electronics newsgroups while doing his best to piss everyone off, and he hates America with both neurons.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

For AC this is only true if the volts and amps are in phase; otherwise the watts can be somewhat less than the volt-amps.

Reply to
mc

Not a mistake, a simplifying assumption. We don't know the phase relationship between the voltage and the current. The power is 63 W or less, we don't know how much less. Nor do we know why he wants to know the power, or whether he's actually concerned about power limits or current limits.

Reply to
mc

Well, the review at that site calls it a 0.52 amp fan. At 115vac, that's

59.8 watts. I assume that is on maximum speed.
--
GO LUNA ROSSA! Beat the Kiwis.
Reply to

At a unity power factor yes, but as the power factor drops (reactive loads like motors and such) the wattage will be lower than volts x amps would give you.

Reply to
James Sweet

I'd plug in the one I've got here and check, except it's in the "junk box," having died long ago -- in fact, not that long after I bought it, as I recall.

minimize spam.  Our true address is of the form che...@prodigy.net.
Reply to
CJT

well, if you read the PDF file, .52 amps.

120 Volts. I guessing 60 watts average/
Real Programmers Do things like this.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5
Reply to