Extra battery wire in UPS. Voltage-sense? or what?

I'm replacing the batteries (2 x 12V, in series) in a Best power supply from the early 1990s.

Obviously, I have a negative lead, a jumper to put the two batteries in series, and a positive lead.

Attached (with tape) to the red positive lead is a white wire with a smaller female spade connector on the end of it. The person who previously replaced the batteries did not connect the white wire to anything. What should it go to?

Reply to
mc

JR North

Thanks. I was thinking temperature sensor but didn't see one. I'll look more closely. It's possible the previous person discarded it. (Maybe it was stuck to a battery and was discarded with the battery.) That, in turn, may be why the batteries lasted only 3 years in light use.

Reply to
mc

I found the battery replacement instructions on

and they say not to connect the white wire to anything at all -- which leaves completely open the question of what it was originally for.

Its connection on the circuit board is labeled SM or WS depending on whether you read it right-side-up or upside-down.

Reply to
mc