UPS battery problem

A few months ago, my brother replaced the sealed lead-acid-battery in his IBM brand UPS. The UPS worked for a month or so and then it quit working. The battery supplied outlets were dead and an LED on the front panel with a sine wave graphic was blinking.

We opened it up and we could not slide the battery out. I had to cut the case of the UPS up, with tin snips, to get it out. The case of the battery has a substantial amount of distortion with bulges and indentations.

Last Saturday, I went to the TRW swap meet and talked to the vendor who sold my brother the battery. She said that he must have connected the battery in reverse. I told her that it had worked for a while and she said that it would work with a reversed battery until the charging circuit tries to charge the battery.

I am 99% sure that this is BS. What do you think? Thank you in advance for all replies.

--
Never ever let your brain explode.  It's VERY bad for you and
it leaves a terrible mess for someone to clean up.

On Mon, 30 Oct 2006 20:49:48 +0000, Daniel Prince Has Frothed:

Overcharging.

COOSN-266-06-25794
Reply to
Meat Plow

As reported earlier, primary problems with UPS - listed by frequency (as reported by UIS)

  1. Dead battery - lead-acid are good for only abut 3 years (5 years max) in this type of service.
  2. Inverter goes bad
  3. Charger circuitry goes bad -- either not charging or overcharging the battery

gb

Reply to
w9gb

As far as it operating with a backwards battery - I think she's full of shit.

Reply to
JW

A bit late.... But are not the two connectors different sizes ? The Yuca 12v sealed battery in mine has two different sized terminals !

--
Baron:
Reply to

First lead acid battery I made ran quite happily either way round. I think, but am not certain, that a commercial battery will chemically reform and work fine backwards, but of course without the benefit of the various tweaks that distinguish modern lead acids from basic lead sheet cells.

However failure after just one month is due to something else entirely.

NT

Reply to
meow2222