APC UPS -- replace battery, or...?

I have an APC Back-UPS ES 750 to which I have plugged in my PVR (a not
particularly high-powered computer, and with only one HD). It is not
indicating that the battery is dead and needs replacing, but whenever
the power goes off, even for just a second or two, the UPS indicates
that it is overloaded (no indicator lights, and continuous sound).

Is it worth replacing the battery just in case, or is this thing ready
for the recyclers?

Perce

Re: APC UPS -- replace battery, or...?

Whether it's "worth it" or not would depend on how much you're willing
to spend on the battery. Whether or not that will cure things, <shrug>
no way for me to say. The battery is the most likely thing to be
failing, but without a whole lot more information than you're likely
going to be able to give online, there's no way to be certain that's
truly the problem.

If you can get your hands on a battery cheap, it's worth trying. If
not...

--
Brought to you by the letter K and the number .357
Security provided by Horace S. & Dan W.

Re: APC UPS -- replace battery, or...?

Ditch the Back-UPS and get a Smart-UPS off eBay--they're much easier on
batteries.  I collect the rebadged ones (IBM 750T) and stick Powersonic
batteries in them.  I have four running at the moment.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

Use your car battery for a test !

--
Best Regards:
                      Baron.

Re: APC UPS -- replace battery, or...?
says...

I have several of these in various versions. The battery is a standard
12V, 9Ah battery. The latest 'real' APC battery is a Kung Long WP9-
125HR. I have also seen a CSB brand HR1234WF2.

Basically, it's a roughly 5.94x2.56x3.72 battery with .250 (1/4 inch)
terminals. Be aware that Amazon or others may link some of those part
numbers to other 'similar' batteries. Major names are CSB, PowerSonic.

Mouser Electronics has a genuine CSB for about $27.44.

Re: APC UPS -- replace battery, or...?

A UPS I bought had an energy saving feature that prevented it operating if
the load was under a specified value.

The last battery problem I had involved a battery that seemed to be OK, but
the UPS played dead.

All tests suggested the battery was good - but it was sluggish turning over
a motorcycle starter.

Site Timeline