APC UPS -- replace battery, or...?

Ditch the Back-UPS and get a Smart-UPS off eBay--they're much easier on batteries. I collect the rebadged ones (IBM 750T) and stick Powersonic batteries in them. I have four running at the moment.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

I have an APC Back-UPS ES 750 to which I have plugged in my PVR (a not particularly high-powered computer, and with only one HD). It is not indicating that the battery is dead and needs replacing, but whenever the power goes off, even for just a second or two, the UPS indicates that it is overloaded (no indicator lights, and continuous sound).

Is it worth replacing the battery just in case, or is this thing ready for the recyclers?

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

Whether it's "worth it" or not would depend on how much you're willing to spend on the battery. Whether or not that will cure things, no way for me to say. The battery is the most likely thing to be failing, but without a whole lot more information than you're likely going to be able to give online, there's no way to be certain that's truly the problem.

If you can get your hands on a battery cheap, it's worth trying. If not...

--
Brought to you by the letter K and the number .357
Security provided by Horace S. & Dan W.

Percival P. Cassidy prodded the keyboard with:

Use your car battery for a test !

--
Best Regards:
                      Baron.

I have several of these in various versions. The battery is a standard

12V, 9Ah battery. The latest 'real' APC battery is a Kung Long WP9- 125HR. I have also seen a CSB brand HR1234WF2.

Basically, it's a roughly 5.94x2.56x3.72 battery with .250 (1/4 inch) terminals. Be aware that Amazon or others may link some of those part numbers to other 'similar' batteries. Major names are CSB, PowerSonic.

Mouser Electronics has a genuine CSB for about $27.44.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Andrew Rossmann

A UPS I bought had an energy saving feature that prevented it operating if the load was under a specified value.

The last battery problem I had involved a battery that seemed to be OK, but the UPS played dead.

All tests suggested the battery was good - but it was sluggish turning over a motorcycle starter.

Reply to
Benderthe.evilrobot