Electrically conductive paint?

Bad idea . . . remote is taking more pressure this morning, so if it is migrating through the membrane it is filling the membrane so my experiment won't prove anything.

But that suggests a second experiment: soaking the keypad in hot dish detergent over night.

Newsgroups
default

I don't have any. Most of the aquadag I've seen is fairly brittle and not very flexible.

Do you use the liquid?

Newsgroups
default

A few times i have taken a small piece of wire bent it like a very small staple and pushed it into the rubber over the worn pad .

Reply to
Ken G.

i find that the repair kit sold in many places to fix the heater tape connections on your defroster work well. an applicable conductive brush on that is highly conductive with most likely copper in it.. dries in a short time.

--
Real Programmers Do things like this.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5

"CRaSH" bravely wrote to "All" (03 Dec 05 07:52:41) --- on the heady topic of "Re: Electrically conductive paint?"

CR> From: "CRaSH" CR> Xref: core-easynews sci.electronics.repair:350252

CR> Dallas wrote: > Does anyone know where to get something like that? >

CR> Go to sci.electronics.repair and you'll get some info from the pro CR> repair folks - name it, and someone's done it, fixed it, or will have CR> a link!!

If you have some Sheffield "Metalic Leaf Finish" around, either the gold or silver, it is conductive. It costs about $7 for a 55 ml jar. You can find it in most paint or hardware stores, etc. Some Testors paints are also conductive, i.e. chrome IIRC.

A*s*i*m*o*v

... Resistance Is Futile! (If < 1 ohm)

Reply to
Asimov

I wonder if the stuff to repair rear window defogger strips will work for this? Has anyone tried that? Can you still get it?

Tom

Reply to
Tom MacIntyre

I use a German product called 'Leitsilber' , silver conductive paint, bought in electronics suppliers. pricey but has done many a remote for me.

-B.

I don't know if it's come up yet but GC has a product called "Nickel Print" that you can pick up at electrical/electronic supply stores or order online. I've also heard good things about the very expensive rubber keypad repair kit.

Reply to
stickyfox

--
Edd Whatley
Reply to

"CRaSH"

same

Yo CRaSH... waddya drinkin' them Old Fashions with a cherry again?

What are you doing over here?... Never mind, it's completely logical given your test bench.

Hey, this is a fascinating group... I'm glad I found my way here, I've already found all kinds of interesting little tidbits in other threads. In case you didn't know, in my neighborhood I'm known as the guy who can fix stuff that every other repair guy considers hopeless.

I'm pressing the subscribe button on this group.

Dallas

Reply to
Dallas

"default"

Update on my repair adventures today:

First this is not a remote control, it's a $ 1200.00 medical device I'm fixing for my neighbor. They won't send you a keypad because they don't do parts. Accessing the keypad takes about 7 screws and 3 minutes. They want the patient to rent one and send the broken unit to them to fix for hundreds of dollars. Bastards.

The first attempt was using the Window Defogger repair paint. I could not get the silver paint that I've heard about, instead Permatex sells a new kit called "Complete Rear Window Defogger Repair Kit". Long story short, that paint actually flaked off the surface with no effort.

Next, I tried to stick a tab of adhesive aluminum duct tape to the pad but the area is too small to hold the tape. Next I tried to glue the piece of aluminum duct tape with E6000. No way... pops right off the surface.

Then I tried aluminum duct tape using super glue and it adhered nicely. I think the key here is that the vinyl pad won't hold paint or contact cements, they peel right off. I think the solvent in the super glue etches the vinyl and makes a very nice adhesion. So far so good.

I'm guessing the aluminum duct tape is a better choice than aluminum foil because of its increased thickness.

Anyway, God Bless Usenet, I can't even remember how many times it's provided answers that would have been impossible to get before the Internet.

Thanks

Dallas

Reply to
Dallas

"Edd Whatley"

Hey Edd, I'm going to need to have a backup on this repair in case it goes south. Is the material Ken Weitzel referenced the same material you're talking about?

Dallas

(both moniker and my location)

Reply to
Dallas

Have you tried my pad substitution method detailed some distance further up the thread ? Works well for me ...

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

"Arfa Daily"

up

I was strongly considering it especially since I've got half a dozen old dead remotes in the attic I could scavenge. But, I was afraid that the super glue wouldn't adhere the two and I would be left with a shorter keypad pad. But, now I know that super glue does work so if I have to redo it will be high on my list of options.

Dallas

Reply to
Dallas

Hey Edd, I'm going to need to have a backup on this repair in case it goes

south. Is the material Ken Weitzel referenced the same material you're

talking about?

Dallas

(both moniker and my location) ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Roger Roger... one and the same ,I got mine from the collection vat that was in the spray room where they coated the tubes. It was from a local tube rebuild plant . If you will send me a mailing adee, I will triple ultrasonically seal a 6 mil pouch of it for placement in a bubble wrap to mail to you.

I am contactable as snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com. eddwhatley(insert at logo)yahoo.com

73's de Edd

(Lucky I even caught you, as I saw a mirror posting on epanorama site.) ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

--
Edd Whatley
Reply to