DVD connected through RF modulator to TV

I have been using DVD player connected to an RF modulator to an older (obviously!) TV. It has worked fine for at least 2 years. Cable TV is connected to the RF modulator with no cable box needed.

Now I can only get cable TV - when I use the DVD player, I just get a static screen on the TV. I'm certain that I have the correct channel on (3 or 4) and have tried both.

To troubleshoot, I connected the DVD player directly to a newer TV and it worked just fine.

I assumed the problem was with the RF modulator, so I bought a new one but have the same problem.

Assuming it is highly unlikely that the old RF mod and the new one are both broken, I can't guess what the issue would be. The AV cables also obviously work since I used the same cables to connect the DVD player to the new TV. Also the DVD player is just that, not a recorder.

I'm completely baffled and would appreciate any suggestions.

Thank you in advance,

Joe

Reply to
birdbrain1957

Got it.

Do you have a VCR available? Is it possible for you to connect the DVD player's output cables to the input jacks of a VCR? Then you can set the VCR's output on channel 3 or 4, whatever, to see if you can view DVDs on your old TV set.

How does that work out?

Reply to
Beloved Leader

birdbrain1957, how is the "cable TV" connected to the RF modulator?

Reply to
mike.j.harvey

I do have a VCR and will try this, Joe

Beloved Leader wrote:

Reply to
birdbrain1957

Cable TV is just regular coax, connected to the RF In. No cable box.

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
birdbrain1957

Many VCRs won't accept a line input from a DVD - the DVD's syncs are such as to confuse the VCR's AGC to prevent copying.

--
*I used to have an open mind but my brains kept falling out *

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I thought that was specifically Macrovision, which was intended to prevent the taping of prerecorded material.

Whatever, it is true. I saw it happening, and it didn't give the tearing that I expected, but a deep fade to dark over a minute or so, which kept repeating.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black