dropped hard disk clacks

when powered and is not seen in bios any more what do you suppose is the problem inside it and am I going to be able to get the data off without replacing the heads?

Reply to
anglomont

No ... unless you have access to a clean room and the required tools and knowledge.

Reply to
Charles Schuler

"Charles Schuler" wrote in news:2Y6dnQEWK snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

I don't believe you'll be able to fix it. Something rattleing around means something broke, it's not a case of a stuck motor. You could concieveably take the drive apart and look at it, but hard disk repair is not a DIY project.

If the data's valuable ($$$) to you, get a professional data recovery place to work on it. If it's not and you've got time, go ahead and play with it some. There have been people who've reported using drives without lids with no problem for a few months. Be forewarned: This is second hand knowledge and YMMV.

Puckdropper

--
www.uncreativelabs.net

still enjoy using the old computers. Sometimes we want to see how far a
particular system can go, other times we use a stock system to remind
ourselves of what we once had.

Puckdropper

And quite possibly not at all.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Important: Anything sent to the email address in the message header above is ignored unless my full name is included in the subject line. Or, you can contact me via the Feedback Form in the FAQs.

Reply to
Sam Goldwasser

Take it to a professional data recovery house if the info on the drive is of any value, otherwise powering it up risks completely destroying any chance of recovery if the heads have been damaged and may contact the disc.

Reply to
James Sweet