did my kenwood receiver get fried?

I'm afraid my kenwood kr-v6010 audio/ video receiver overheated, because it won't turn on. Is there some kind of circuit breaker inside? should I take it to a shop to get fixed, or should I throw it out? thanks

Reply to
adamtiller

There will certainly be fuses inside, but as to whether that will be the problem or not, we don't really have enough information to venture an opinion. Why, for instance, do you feel that it 'overheated' ? If it did, and then blew a fuse, then the chances are that the overheating did some damage that is now causing fuses to blow. On the other hand, fuses can sometimes fail for no apparent reason (although there is one of course, such as simple metal fatigue). Most amplifiers also have at least a degree of electronic self protection against excess heat conditions. That said, high internal ambient temperature, can lead to failure of the thermal fuse in the transformer primary. This is not normally a replaceable item, and requires that a new transformer is fitted, which may be prohibitively priced.

You could try looking for fuses, but beyond that, if you don't have any experience of repairs to this type of equipment, you probably won't get much further. It would have to be worth at least taking it to a repair shop then, and paying the small amount to get a repair estimate done before binning it, wouldn't it ?

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily