Kenwood Major - how to remove the large pulley?

Hi

I have a Kenwood Major mixer on which the planet hub cog is mashed; I've managed to get the requisite spare part from Kenwood but since the version I have is obsolete (after 5 years, for crying out loud) it requires me to replace the vertical drive shaft also - which entails taking apart the entire gearbox (grrrr).

This would be no problem except that one of the screws holding the gearbox together is underneath the large pulley (the big green plastic one) which itself simply won't come off.

You can see a picture here:

Does anyone know how you go about removing this large pulley? Kenwood won't tell me, apparently because they don't encourage users to repair things themselves (even though they're happy enough to sell me the spare parts at a suitably exorbitant markup) and because their legal team won't let them (liability issues, I suppose).

I'm getting to the point where I may just drill a hole in the pulley (it's plastic) and undo the screw through the hole, which I'm pretty certain isn't the best idea...

Thanks!

Geoff

Reply to
Geoff

26.jpg

If you want generalists to help , then a better close-up pic is required

N_Cook

Fair point. I'll take a photo tonight; I hoped someone might have done it before :-)

Thanks for the feedback.

Geoff

Reply to
Geoff

Wheel puller? Though I would put something *else* behind the pulley and pull *that* instead (think: large circular piece of metal with slot extending from edge to center having diameter slightly larget than shaft)

Why not? Are you afraid of weakening the pulley? (no idea as to the mechanical stresses it sees nor the actual plastic used in its fabrication). How small a hole could you get away with?

Reply to
D Yuniskis

Geoff Inscribed thus:

Hard to tell. Could be on a LH thread.