Noisy Sony Receiver STR-D711

This receiver is used in my entertainment system. Recently the TV audio has been crackling. This seems to affect the left audio primarily, but I wouldn't swear to it. It was plugged into the Video2 channel I moved the TV audio to Video1 and all seems OK. The other boxes plugged in are a CD player and a Cassette player. These as well as the receiver itself are OK. The VCR/DVD player gets to the receiver by way of the TV.

What is in the input circuits of this receiver? Are they all discrete components? This receiver is about a 1993 (looking at the publish date on the manual). I have no scope or audio generator to troubleshoot with. It would be replace something and see if that fixed it. Crude but doable.

What is the best course of action? I could take it to the local repair shop. The guy is good, but it will be at least a week before I get it back. If I can pull it off myself it might just take an afternoon.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Bress

Good old receiver. Just try a "clean" input like a cd player into the "bad input" which is Video 2. Just may need to solder the Video 2 input connectors. Sky.

Reply to
Skype_man

It's possible that you 'fixed' it when you pulled the cable and replugged it. If you haven't done so already, try it back in the vid 1 input. Possible some corrosion had built up on the connector. If not, the above is probable.

jak

Reply to
jakdedert