Kenwood KT-42B

Got an old Kenwood tuner model KT-42B. After using it for severals hours, it won't turn on again. Only one of the 'memory' LEDs lights up but the flourescent display is off. Tried to resolder every joint possible. Reseated the socketed IC near the flourescent display, stil the same.

After a month or so without turning it on --or plugging it in on AC.. the tuner works! currently clocked running at an hour no problems yet.. I'm afraid if I turn it off it may not come back ON again.

Any suggestions? What area should I check. THanks In Advance!

-mike

Reply to
solder lung

Memory capacitor.

Reply to
dkuhajda

Just _what_ are you nattering on about? Oh, I see the problem: X-Trace: posting.google.com

Reply to
drwxr-xr-x

You didn't see the re: or the entire thread? It is not like technical newsgroups are for carrying on conversations. It is like they are for answering specific technical questions. All modern real newreaders will allow keeping the entire thread together, so it is better not to quote for simple question and answers or to top post since it does not matter to keep the post in language context.

Reply to
dkuhajda
36 hours and stil running! tried to turning it off momentarily (seconds) and it stil comes back on. can you point to me where this 'memory capacitor' would be located on the board or what adjacent IC. thanks a lot! good day!!
Reply to
solder lung

Look for the capacitor rated in FARADS at 5.5V near the microprocessor ic that is usually mounted behind the display. Looks like a little button.

Reply to
David Kuhajda

*plink*
Reply to
drwxr-xr-x

That is all fine and dandy, except Google groups posting has not worked like that for a long time. You get a reply box that opens up under the article that you are replying with no option to edit any text from the prior message.

So maybe Google needs to update the information they provide for posting, or change the software to give the option.

Reply to
dkuhajda