denon 3801

hello...yall might remember me trying to find problem with 3801 denon receiver i bought that wouldnt power on...wont do anything. Mark sent me a service manual, i tried to find problem and finally give up. I finally sent the receiver to a denon repair shop..they called today, said the micro processor was out and would have to be replaced before they could further troubleshoot, and could cost as much as 760.00 to repair. I told them nevermind and to send it back. Mark said he bet i had a cracked circuit board.awhile back when i was trying to find problem..any tips on how to locate a cracked board or an easy way to check? Would i have to tear receiver all the way down and pull all the individual boards to check?

Thanks JR

Reply to
JR

I think I was actually the first to suggest a cracked board when you first posted. I would think that the system control micro being faulty, whilst possible, is unlikely. I have a friend who has this "rule" that the more pins a device has, the less likely it is to be faulty ... Just a joke, but actually, not a bad maxim to live your repair life by in practice.

For sure, you could pull every board out and physically examine it, but really, it just wants either fault finding properly, or giving a second opinion by a reputable repairer. The lot you already took it to are taking the piss suggesting $760 to repair it. That actually says that they either can't do it, or don't want to, so are doing the old "price it ridiculously high and he'll walk" trick.

The system control micro area is generally easy to troubleshoot for a fault like this. You only need establish that the 5v supply is good and accurate, the reset line is at the right level, and the system clock is running. After that, you check for activity on the switch matrix lines, in particular, those running to the standby switch. Make sure that they do something when you push the button, preferably right back at the appopriate pins on the micro, but at the switch pins will do at a pinch. After this, if all is well, you would need to check the "power on" line coming back out of the micro, which should toggle as a result of pressing the standby button. There are odd little problems that could throw a spanner in the works of this simplified procedure, but for 99% of cases, those are the checks, in that order, that will establish whether or not there is a sytem control micro problem. However, all this assumes that you have a 'scope to hand, and are able to read and follow schematics and layout drawings properly.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Reply to